Saturday, 12 June 2010

Historic Saturday (13)

Why have I been so sucky at reading my beloved historical fiction? At least two historical fictions just came out in the past 2 weeks and I plan to get them ASAP. Anyway, these weeks Historic Saturday:

Princess of Glass
Jessica Day George

The engrossing companion novel to Princess of the Midnight Ball, with a wicked twist on Cinderella.

Hoping to escape the troubles in her kingdom, Princess Poppy reluctantly agrees to take part in a royal exchange program, whereby young princes and princesses travel to each other’s countries in the name of better political alliances—and potential marriages. It’s got the makings of a fairy tale—until a hapless servant named Eleanor is tricked by a vengeful fairy godmother into competing with Poppy for the eligible prince. Ballgowns, cinders, and enchanted glass slippers fly in this romantic and action-packed happily-ever-after quest from an author with a flair for embroidering tales in her own delightful way.


I really liked Princess of the Midnight Ball and thought it was cute. So, knowing there'd be another, I knew I had to have it. Especially as an ultra rare Cinderella retelling!

Instead of looking at the oldest sister like we did in the first book, here we're looking at Sister #5. Poppy has three older sisters and a twin. Poppy was a strong heroine and I absolutely adored her. She was gorgeous without flaunting it, could wield a weapon, was an expert card player, and stuck up for people she cared for.

I liked Christian too, though he was sometimes confusing. It was supposed to be that way, because of how the story goes, but it still kind of made my head spin. Marianne was sweet, though a bit shallow for my taste. I pitied Ellen, oddly enough. But Roger just annoyed me. I get that it was a childhood sweetheart, so why would he still be in love after 7 years without a word from her? Seems odd to me.

But the story itself was still a very unique, different take on the Cinderella story. It was something you don't really see often and while reading, it seemed to be a bit like The Little Mermaid too, which was cool.

This was just a really good, really unique fairy tale retelling. I'd recommend reading Princess of the Midnight Ball, but you won't miss much if you don't.

--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.