Thursday, 24 June 2010

My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares

My Name is Memory
by Ann Brashares

Summary (from Amazon): Not everyone believes in the existence of 'the one', the love of our life that we are destined to find, but Daniel knows it’s real. How could he not? He has spent centuries meeting and falling in love with the same girl over and over and over again.

Life after reincarnated life, generation after generation, spanning continents and dynasties, he and Lucy have been drawn together – and though he can never tell her, he remembers it all. He has the gift, or the curse, of 'the memory', the ability to recall past lives and recognize the reincarnated souls he has known. The problem is, the force that draws Lucy and Daniel together also always tears them painfully, fatally apart, to the point that he has started trying to protect her from falling in love with him and the heartbreak he knows it will bring.

[Note: above is the UK cover, the US cover is different]

This book was fantastic, I felt like my heart shattered a little bit more with every page I turned -- the story was so heartbreaking and the romance is pretty epic; a love that spans centuries, surviving death over and over again, how could it not be?

This is the kind of book you fall in love with; it'll make your heart ache, you'll keep thinking about it even when you've finished reading. It managed to make me cry and smile at the same time and it really made me think about life and death and what really matters. (And, also, it made me want to read some of the books I have on reincarnation and past life regression, it's fascinating and the way Ann wrote the story, it felt true, it wasn't like reading a made up story.)

I really loved the characters, Daniel was lovely and his devotion to Sophia was amazing but he had such a sense of loneliness about him, which was understandable, considering what he goes through but it was really sad reading about it... he was actually the reason I was rooting for him and Lucy/Sophia - I wanted him to be happy so badly, it's like Sophia has become his reason for living.

Lucy/Sophia/Constance (and whatever other names she's had) was interesting - because she doesn't remember her past lives the way Daniel does, each of her lives is like the same at the core but there are differences in her personality - Constance was my favourite of her lives and Lucy often frustrated me because she would take so long to follow her heart and let fear get in the way.

And then there is Ben. Although his character wasn't in the story much, he was awesome - he was like the Yoda of reincarnation, all mysterious and wise, I adored him and found myself wishing he was more present - but I think his absence added to his appeal, small doses of him was just enough.

There isn't much else I can say about the book without spoiling it, but it was really fantastic, I loved it and I can't wait to read the sequel whenever it is out, I desperately need to know how their story ends.

Oh, and here is the book trailer:


On another note, I *think* the book has been optioned to become a movie, which is awesome and I so hope it gets made.

Later.

5 comments:

  1. I just read another review of this book, and I definitely want to read it. Your review was great and made me want to read this one even more.

    Thanks!

    Check out my blog- http://karissaaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/

    -Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds amazing! Made e think of The Time Travellers Wife. Thank you so much for the wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh, that trailer is gorgeous! seriously, all book trailers need to be like this! fantastic review, this is definitely going on my wishlist. i've really enjoyed some of brashares' other works :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The synopsis reminds me of Fallen by Lauren Kate, but that doesn't bother me. Just added it to my wishlist. Great review ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.