Friday, 25 June 2010

Sea by Heidi R. Kling


Sea
Heidi R. Kling


Haunted by recurring nightmares since her mother’s disappearance over the Indian ocean three years before, fifteen-year old California girl Sienna Jones reluctantly travels with her psychiatrist father’s volunteer team to six-months post-tsunami Indonesia where she meets the scarred and soulful orphaned boy, Deni, who is more like Sea than anyone she has ever met.

She knows they can’t be together, so why can’t she stay away from him? And what about her old best friend-turned-suddenly-hot Spider who may or may not be waiting for her back home? And why won’t her dad tell her the truth about her mother’s plane crash? The farther she gets from home, the closer she comes to finding answers.


And Sea’s real adventure begins.


You guys know I've been waiting for this for months. My excitement and dedication to promoting knew no bounds. And I loved every minute of this book.

Yanking on sweatpants, I twisted my blond hair into a ponytail. Under my tank top I pulled on a bra that was dangling over my chair and made my way down the stairs.


--Sea page 2

Page 2 and already I understand Sienna. This is something that I do and already I'm relating to her as a person, not just a character in a book. And things only improve from here.

Sienna is such this strong, independent character throughout the book. She was intelligent and resourceful. I didn't always agree with her decisions, but they worked for her.

And Deni, oh Deni. I have so much love for Deni. He wasn't really a bad boy and he can't fly or cast spells of sparkle. He was a genuinely good guy and I loved that. It's such a rare thing to find in a lot of YA books.

Then there was the actual plot. A lot of the time you can see things coming but with this book? I was so totally enthralled I couldn't even think about what would be coming around the corner or how it would end and even if I did, I would've been horribly wrong.

I cried at the end, yeah I did. Sea didn't have the ending I would've wanted most, but it was the right one. Part of me still screamed that it couldn't be the end that there had to be an epilogue, but there wasn't. (You hear me, Putnam? You need to ask Heidi to write Sea 2 NOW. kthx)

I really just wish we had more of Spider. I understood his character and everything, but I liked him and his awkwardness. I would've loved to see more, if it had been a possibility.

The writing is stunning and sweeps you away. For the first 50 pages I was kind of antsy, but then it started raining and I moved to the living room to watch it while I read and then I kind of lost track of the world around me. I cursed anything that interrupted me. I hadn't eaten all morning to get to reading it and the only reason I ate at all before finishing was because I had to get up to take care of the dogs anyway.

To summarize:
A] Sea is awesome
B] I need another book from Heidi
C] Sea is amazing
D] Putnam needs to ask for Sea 2
E] Sea is love

Go. Buy. NAO.

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I knew I was going to get Sea, but like a year later because you know my buying habits.. I think.
    But yeah for you loving this book. I'll move it up to buying it this year, does it sound fair o 3 o? I can't buy it naow, so that's pretty much it. Oh and I noticed that some others haven't got Sarah Dessen books yet, xD Time to formspring you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I completely undestand your excitement to read this book because I'm still in this situation. lol! I'm SO glad you loved it and I can't wait to have my copy in hands. Awesome, lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is beautiful! I would totally buy it if I wasn't trying to save for college at the moment - hopefully they'll have it at my library very, very soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.