Saturday, 5 June 2010

Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready


Shade
Jeri Smith-Ready

Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart.

Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding--and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.

Words, words, where did my words go?

This novel almost caused me to break into tears. Three times. Two of them, I was on a bus full of teenage girls. Slightly awkward trying not to cry while two girls are in the seat across from me talking about typical high school gossip and my best friends are in front of me and behind me listening to music.

This book was just beyond words. I never wanted to stop reading. And I want to read more. And I felt GUILTY rooting for Zachary because Logan was still hanging around.

I also kind of sort of loved Aura's aunt. So sweet! Her best friend kind of bugged me at times, but I could still see what she was doing. Brian just plain pissed me off. Then there's the whole mystery of Aura's parents and Zach's parents. It's so much awesome in one average-sized, prettily covered book.

Honestly, I could go on and on but the spoilers would be tremendous. And I can't do that to you because you guys NEED to read this book. Like now. And I need to read Shift. ASAP.

--Julie

6 comments:

  1. Seriously, wan't this book just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do need to go buy this book. Like, now.

    Glad you loved it :) I have yet to see anything but rave reviews for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I loved this book, and it almost had me in tears too. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shade was a great YA debut. Jeri's world feels complete and inviting. The dead have a voice, whether it's good or bad. Really enjoyed her twists to bring new life on such a common subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this was one of the best books I'd read in years! Can't wait for SHIFT to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. This is one I can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.