Saturday, 19 June 2010

What We Wish We Knew (1)

After reading this post about saying no to ARCs, I began thinking how that's something I wish I knew before I began blogging. I have said no to ARCs before, but that doesn't mean everyone has.

Then I began thinking about other things I wish I knew before I began blogging and wondered what others thought. Because I always want to understand how others think and feel and their general thought pattern.

I put out the alert on twitter and asked people to email me, tweet me, just tell me their thoughts.

Originally, I just planned to make this one post. But then I began getting a LOT of responses, so I'm breaking this up into a series of posts. If I continue getting so many answers, it'll become a weekly thing.

One of the first responses I got was from my friend Bianca at Nyxen's Productions. I did what I could to help Bianca when she began, which wasn't much. She's only been blogging for a couple of months. Her thoughts? "Oh, it's takes a lot of time and dedication to run a blog."

Bianca's not the only one. One of the girls at YA Reads tweeted
to me and said she wish she knew "how addictive and ultimately all consuming it is. I have no life now cuz of it."

Others agree with the post at Chick Lit Teens. Jem at The O.W.L. also says she wishes she knew "
How to say no to review copies!!!!! That has been my biggest eye opener and I've decided not to take them."

Chioma at Black and Blue Ink said "
To answer your question, the #1 thing that I thought I knew and wish I had figured out before I began blogging was that memes DO NOT make the blogger. I thought that people would like my blog if I began doing every single meme out there. But it all ended up being clutter and I realized within a month my archives were filled with 20 memes and like 3 reviews. So I changed it, and telling people about books I know I like than telling them about books I think or hope I will like!!!"

Kim of And Anything Bookish told me "I wish I knew that having a review archive is very important when starting a blog. I made that mistake, and had to waste a lot of time writing one up. Not only does it help you in finding a specific review very quickly, but it also lets you see how many review you've written so far. Sure, you have the "search" bar, but that's even messier. So my advice is to create a review archive right from the start or you'll be digging through your posts."


So, as bloggers old and new, this is the wisdom we impart to you (Um, channeling Dr. Seuss much, self?). Now all of you potenial-bloggers, bloggers to be, or newborn bloggers have some helpful guidance. Know that it's okay to say no to ARCs, know that it takes time and dedication, only have a few memes you use but focus on reviews, and get a review archive (hey look! I just found a project for this summer!).

--Julie

8 comments:

  1. LOVED this post. Still starting out in the blogger-world myself, but it's helpful veterans like yourselves that make the process easier.

    I totally agree with the last one too! I try to keep a good quantity of reviews per month and then one day I realized (oh bloody hell) How are the people gonna find them? The archives are helpful, but if someone is looking for a specific author or book, they won't want to spend the time going through months and months of archives. So I started a page on my blog just to categorize the reviews I've done or am doing. I call it my review rolodex! (getting real dorky now)

    I wish all the starting out bloggers like myself all the luck and offer my thanks to the patient 'elders'. We must listen to the wisdom, it saves us a lot of time and frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the advice about memes is very important. They're easy to get caught up in...because they're easy and fun to do. But they aren't usually what people want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an insightful post. Thank you for putting it up!

    I am now happy that I made a Review Archive before I wrote all those reviews.

    I can't wait for more posts on this particular subject.

    --Nyxen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great feature!! I agree with a lot of these, and I never really gave much thought to starting an archive, but now I definately will. Thank you for including my responce, but just to let you know you spelled my name wrong, it's spelled CHIOMA. It's okay though, I get that a lot lol!!! Look forward to the rest of these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate it when more experienced bloggers help beginners such as myself. I'm constantly trying to think of ways to make my blog more appealing and fun. Part of that is knowing what to stay away from. I'll definitely be working on my review archive this week! Thanks so much for posting this and I can't wait to read part two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas..Man so much I wish I new when I first started.

    Thanks for all the advice on where to visit on my Vaca. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the advice! I am trying to get my blog off the ground, and it is definitely a struggle.

    Check it out- http://karissaaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/
    :]

    -Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I'm in an unusual position, because 15 years as a bookseller and/or librarian afforded me lots and LOTS of opportunities to snag free books, waaay before I was a blogger. There's nothing in the world that compares to that wonderful feeling, the first year or so, when you are getting books (for free!!!!)

    But, once your house is full, and your bookshelves are overflowing, the appeal starts to wane. You stare back at that scary mountain of books To Be Read, that you KNOW (in your heart of hearts) that you'll honestly never get to and you know if you keep on this path, you'll be a prime candidate for A&E's Hoarders, and yes, all those unread ARCs from 3 years ago have just Got To Go.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.