Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Author Interview: Emma Michaels

Emma Michaels is a blogger and also the author of the soon-to-be released book, Thirteenth Chime:

Summary: Destiny has finally found the life that she has always wanted.

She is about to finish college, has a fiancé that loves her, and a great summer on the West Coast planned with her friend, Stephanie.

But her world is turned upside down when an antique clock mysteriously chimes thirteen times and someone attacks them, sending Stephanie and her mother to the hospital.

Alone, and without any help from the police, Destiny has no choice but to turn to the one man she had left behind a year ago - her ex-boyfriend, David.

Together, they must solve the riddle of the thirteenth chime before the clock strikes thirteen again.

Yet as they face their own past and hearts, a trap over half a century old is waiting for them to become its prey. For revenge, fifty years is never too long…

If you could be a part of any fictional world, which would you choose and why?

There are so many amazing ones! I would love to be a gifted one in one of Tamora Pierces novels, a wizard in Harry Potter or a (good) witch in Beautiful Creatures. There are just so many amazing options it is hard to choose!

As a writer, do you participate in any of the writing months (NaNoWriMo, JulNoWriMo, Script Frenzy etc.) and will you be doing NaNoWriMo in November?

Actually no, normally my writing isn't something I can plan out in that way. It tends to disrupt my schedule which makes it much harder for me. I try to just write with my heart each and everyday.

What was the first story you remember writing, can you tell us anything about it?

I actually do remember it very well. The first story I honestly started writing I had called 'The Rose Warrior' and it was about a young girl who lived in a dystopia/ mid-evil realm and was the daughter of a duke. She had played with the prince as a child and one day was forbidden to see him because he had told his tutor that he loved her.

They had been kept apart and the story was about what happened when they met again and that while they had both changed it was in ways that somehow made them even more perfect for each other, and even further from what each of them should be with. Ahhh... the mind of a eleven year old girl. I may have written before then, but that was my first real try.

If you could only read one book, listen to one song and watch one movie for the rest of your life, which book, movie and song would you choose?

Book, the bible. Not only because of my feelings about it but because I would want a novel that I could continue to study and learn more from with each read. If not a bible then Gray's anatomy by Henry Gray F.R.S. My one song... wow... that is a hard one. I am not sure what but definitely something that I could sing to and that might help keep my spirits up. Only one movie... hmmm... Shinobi (2005) with subtitles. It was just so beautiful and made me cry but it also made you feel like anything was possible as long as you lived through your heart and let your heart lead you to a new era.

Just for fun, would you like it if your book was made into a movie and who could you see playing your main characters?

A) I would love it if "The Thirteenth Chime" could be made into a movie! I have wondered about potential actors and played around with it in my mind. Right now, because of the bond and chemistry between David and Destiny, the only ones I could see playing them are Tom Welling and Kristin Kreuk from their "Smallville" days. The relationship between them matches really well.
Do you listen to music while you write or have a playlist for your book? If you do, which 3 songs are most fitting for the book/characters (or which are your favourites)?

Hmmm... honestly, this is one where there are too many to choose.
What is your definition of love?

Love is when a part of your heart finds a home outside of you. It is when you leave a part of yourself with that person, object or place and from that point on you cant help but feel that connection inside of you, even if you ignore it or don't realize it, you feel it and your heart knows. It is that moment when a cold breeze hits you on a hot day and you don't understand where it came from of what is happening, only how it feels.

What 5 books do you recommend to our blog readers? (Can be old, new, or upcoming books we should look out for.)

I loved some of the other debut novels this year like Fallen and Beautiful Creatures. I love almost any Tamora Pierce novel, most Sharon Shinn novels and Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner.

What is one book you've read and thought, "damn, I wish I had written that"?

I think everyone felt that way about Harry Potter or Twilight but that novel I felt that way about was Tamora Pierce's In the Hand of the Goddess, which is what inspired me to read and write.

If you weren't an author, what would your dream job be? (Logic can be thrown out the window for this one; pirates, ninjas, princesses, president etc. are all acceptible answers.)

A mystical do-gooder. I would just go around trying to help people or I would probably have worked at a Borders or a library because I love being around books.

Thank you so much for having me here and to everyone reading!!! I really appreciate your support!!!

To find out more about The Thirteenth Chime or get in contact with Emma, check out her blog: http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com or her website: www.EmmaMichaels.com or e-mail her at Emma_Michaels@hotmail.com

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the interview!!!! I really enjoyed it!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.