Thursday, 29 July 2010

Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Becoming Chloe
Catherine Ryan Hyde

Meet Jordy. He’s on his own in New York City. Nobody to depend on; nobody depending on him. And it’s been working fine.

Until this girl comes along. She’s 18 and blond and pretty–her world should be perfect. But she’s seen things no one should ever see in their whole life–the kind of things that break a person. She doesn’t seem broken, though. She seems . . . innocent. Like she doesn’t know a whole lot. Only sometimes she does.

The one thing she knows for sure is that the world is an ugly place. Now her life may depend on Jordy proving her wrong. So they hit the road to discover the truth–and there’s no going back from what they find out.

This deeply felt, redemptive novel reveals both the dark corners and hidden joys of life’s journey–and the remarkable resilience of the human soul.


The beginning of the novel is a BAM kind of beginning. I was sucked in immediately, enthralled in Chloe's tragic introduction.

The whole novel was thought provoking and had me questioning life for a while after reading. Chloe and Jordy have this insane journey with so much about life and death and existing vs. living. It was a way more extreme journey than I had expected.

I was struck by the beauty of my own home, the country I live in. I never really thought of it as beautiful so much as...natural. That was a welcome shock.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the open ending. I didn't have this full sense of closure. And I didn't really see this true climax in the novel, either. I think of a climax as a mountain but in this novel we were just going over a bunch of hills, I guess.

But this was really good and I enjoyed it. A nice, short read that I enjoyed much more than I thought I would.

--Julie

7 comments:

  1. Oh, there's definitely a reason for this sense of non-closure, if you catch my drift. ;) But you didn't hear it from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! Catherine is such a sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I am glad you enjoyed it, because I ordered it from Random Buzzers last week on a whim. It looks like my choice may have been a good one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review! This may be something I might like. And I know what you mean by open endings. I hate that :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. I really like this one too, and Catherine IS great. You should def. think about checking out her new novel this October...Jumpstart the World.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. I hadn't heard of this one before, but I have read a different book by Catherine Ryan Hyde, I shall put this one on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a beautiful story. One of those stories that you read and think about for a while afterward. Adding to my list. Thanks for the review. I probably would have passed it based on the cover: I'm so over the whole feet on the cover thing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.