Saturday, 10 July 2010

Discussion: Books You Always Recommend

I kind of realised that whenever I'm asked for book recommendations, there is always a certain bunch of books I will always recommend (and then I will get specific with my recs based on the preferred genre/story type by the person asking for book recommendations).

So I figured I'd share with you my list of ten books I always recommend.

1. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

I put off reading this book for about a year and then mentally whacked myself upside the head (lolwhut?) for not reading it sooner because it was fantastic. I always feel the need to make sure people are aware that the book will confuse the hell out of you at first but stick it out because it's so worth the initial confusion.

2 & 3. Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns by John Green


John is a genius, he writes brilliantly, his characters are awesome and his stories manage to be the perfect mix of heartwrenching and hilarious that very few authors can achieve.

4. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


Even though it's well known, I still think it seems to be underrated. A lot of people seem to have an aversion to vamp fiction thanks to the whole Twilight thing but this series is really good and completely different to Twilight.

5. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan


Fast paced and awesome. It's a short book but it stuck with me (and it's better than the movie, so don't let the movie put you off).

6. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


It's really unique and shows the impact that we can have on each others lives, how the things we say and do or the things we don't say and don't do have consequences. It's a book about suicide but I think it shows more about life than it does about death.

7. Stolen by Lucy Christopher


New addition to the list, as soon as I finished the last page it was automatically filed into the section of my brain where this list is. Again, it's unique - at least, it's different to any books I've read. I love the writing and I love the way Lucy makes you really feel for the characters.

8. Stranger With My Face by Lois Duncan

This was a book I loved when I was younger and I still like it now. I don't even know why really, there's just something about it and it always stuck with me (there is a movie for it too, released last year - or this year? - starring Alexz Johnson... the movie isn't nearly as good as the book, but Alexz is awesome).

9. Dark Secrets by Elizabeth Chandler


I am so happy this series has been rereleased recently in bind-up form, it was really underrated before but now it seems more popular... or perhaps I was just oblivious to its popularity before but no one I recommended it to had heard of it.

10. Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols


I adore Jennifer Echols and when I'm recommending books, hers often make the list too but this is one I recommend to most people because even if they're not into YA or the kind of chick lit-ishness that is her other books, they still might enjoy this one because it's more serious.

Honorable mentions:

+Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

Most people I recommend books to have already read this series, so I rarely have to add it but if it wasn't so well known then I would be pimping it out like there's no tomorrow.

+Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

This one will be a new addition to the above list, it's already started with my persistent pestering of my friends on MSN telling them to read it.

+Harry Potter by J K Rowling

I assume everyone has either read or at least heard of these books so I don't really feel the need to rec them.

+Mediator series by Meg Cabot

It depends on the type of person I'm recommending books to and their taste, but if I think they might be into this kind of book then it makes the list.

+The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This is another one that most people seem to have read or heard of already.

What books do you always recommend to people? Do you have a bunch that you always pimp out or do your recommendations vary depending on the person you're recommending books to?

Feel free to mention in the comments or write a blog post and leave the link. Julie, this question applies to you too - I could easily ask you on MSN but I figure other people might be interested in your answers too.

Later.

9 comments:

  1. The people asking me for recommendations are usually my 5th grade students, so these top choices are typically for a younger age group. But I find myself repeatedly recommending: Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins, No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman, A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Ann Schlitz, Everlost by Neil Schusterman, Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill, and Airborn by Kenneth Oppel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it depends on the person and their tastes. Then from there I look at my favorites shelf and pick.

    Contemporary: Sea, Crazy Beautiful, Salvaged, Perfect Chemistry, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, Just One Wish

    Vampires: Vampire Academy, Blue Bloods, Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

    Wolves: The Dark Divine, Sisters Red

    Regular Magic: Hex Hall, Beautiful Creatures

    Dystopian: Incarceron

    Historical: The Pale Assassin, Radiant Darkness, Prada and Prejudice, Magic Under Glass, The Musician's Daughter

    Mermaids: Forgive My Fins

    Fairies: Wondrous Strange, The Iron King

    Retellings: Beastly, A Kiss in Time, Jekel Loves Hyde (kind of), Sisters Red

    Other: Shade, Going Bovine, As You Wish, anything John Green, anything Meg Cabot, Pride and Prejudice, and The Time Traveler's Wife

    I have other favorites but I'm not going to include those if they aren't out yet. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a post. Your list is nice because it has all sorts of different books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always tell people to read-

    the perks of being a wallflower by stephen chbosky

    willow by julia hoban

    ballads of suburbia by stephanie kuehnert

    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist' was originally a book! I'll definitely have to check it out =)

    I recommend 'Uglies' by Scott Westerfeld and 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Diana Wynn Jones a lot, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Looking For Alaska - John Green
    2. The Catcher In The Rye - JD Salinger
    3. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks - E Lockhart
    4. A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
    5. The Summoning - Kelley Armstrong
    6. Becoming Bindie Mckenzie - Jacklyn Moriarty
    7. Generation Dead - Daniel Waters
    8. The Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick
    9. Noughts and Crosses - Malorie Blackman
    10. Just Listen - Sarah Dessen

    I enjoyed making that list so much. Whenever people want book recommendations I get stupidly excited xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea for a post. I may "steal" it (linking back to you of course). Your recommends list is great - though I've heard of all of these books, I must confess I haven't read them all. It's so frustrating when some of your favorites are books almost everyone has already read. It's one of the toughest things about recommendations - when talking to your book soul mate and they've already read everything you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Stolen and Going Too Far. And I also agree with Julie's list - I haven't read much to really give a good rec, but Stolen would def top my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how this is the second time this morning that I've seen somone mention Stolen on their blogs. I have a copy and I haven't even thought about reading it since I bought it. Might have to change that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.