Friday, 30 July 2010

The Lighter Side of Life and Death by C.K. Kelly Martin

The Lighter Side of Life and Death
C.K. Kelly Martin

Acclaimed YA author C. K. Kelly Martin offers a sexy, soulful story of one confused boy, two girls, and all the complications that ensue in this romantic feel-good love story that celebrates friendship, first love, first lust, and second chances. Sixteen-year-old Mason Rice is having the night of his life. He's just delivered an incredible performance in the school play, basked in celebratory afterglow vibes at the party of the year, and lost his virginity to one of his best friends—the gorgeous but previously unobtainable Kat Medina. His dreams are coming true, and the future looks golden. Unfortunately, Kat sees things very differently. Crossing the friendship line was a big mistake, and all she wants is to forget it and move on, even if that means forgetting Mason altogether. What's a guy to do? Well, if you're Mason, you hang your hopes on the first attractive twenty-three-year-old you cross paths with. At first Mason wonders if he's imagining the chemistry . . . until Colette invites him over to her apartment. Suddenly Mason's living in a whole new world.


So, here's where you guys start to see that I don't love and gush over ever book I read.

Honestly, I forced myself through this book. I was ready to give up after 50 pages, and again after 100. But I wanted to finish this and review it for you guys.

Mason was so whiny. His life sucked. Everything sucked. He probably should've just killed himself to end it all.

The book itself was fairly boring too. Nothing honestly happened. On top of that it was predictable and the main characters seemed to have every cliche possible shoved onto them. Cliches are cliches for a reason and you know, in small doses they're fine. But when you shove every possible one in, I cannot stand it.

The only redeeming parts of this novel? Colette was pretty awesome. I liked her, looked forward to scenes she would be in. She made me push in through. And then there were quite a few mentions about theater in the novel, and that was the only time Mason wouldn't whine. That was pretty nice.

If this is your kind of novel, then go for it. But this was just so not for me.

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. The synopsis looks goodd, but I'm not sure either. I hate having to force myself to finish and that is rare since I pick books I know I will love. I'll probably just check this out at the library. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for an honest review. I personally loved this one, but I know it's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the warning, this sounds like one I probably won't enjoy. I always find it difficult to finish books that feature whiny characters.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.