Monday, 5 July 2010

Old Skool Favourites (4): Dark Secrets

Old Skool Favourites is a feature where we review/recommend/talk about books that made us fall in love with reading, ones we used to love when we were younger.


These books have recently been re-released in bind-up form and the new covers are gorgeous. See:

Dark Secrets 1
by Elizabeth Chandler

Summary: Two girls haunted by the past...and destined to relive it.

In Legacy of Lies, Megan has to stay with the uptight grandmother she wants nothing to do with. She's determined to get through the visit without any drama, but when she falls into a twisted love triangle with potentially fatal consequences, Megan may be caught up in her family's legacy in more ways than she realizes.

In Don't Tell, Lauren knows that by returning to the town where her mother drowned seven years ago, she'll be reliving one of her most haunting memories. When she arrives, she is propelled into a series of mysterious events that mimic the days leading up to her mother's death. Maybe her mother's drowning wasn't an accident after all...and maybe Lauren is next. - from Simon & Schuster



Dark Secrets 2
by Elizabeth Chandler

Summary: Secrets taken to the grave don’t always stay buried.

In No Time to Die, Jenny is devastated by the recent death of her sister, Liza. Looking for a sense of closure, she secretly signs up for the drama camp where Liza died. Jenny knows that someone here holds the key to what really happened to Liza that night, but if she doesn’t find out the truth soon, she may become the next victim.

In The Deep End of Fear, Kate has tried to bury the horrible memories associated with the Westbrook estate. After her best friend Ashley drowned on the estate, Kate vowed never to return. But now, twelve years later, she is drawn back towards the house and that fatal icy pond. There, Kate still feels Ashley’s presence and the past seems to be pulling her back towards Ashley’s life-threatening dares. - from Simon & Schuster.

I think I'm going to buy the bind ups even though I already own all of the Dark Secrets series.

I read these books ages ago and they're really awesome, my favourites are Don't Tell and Legacy of Lies.

The books are all set in the same town but with new characters and stories each time, which I loved because it's really nice to read them and see a familiar place or character mentioned even if the stories and characters change with each book.

The stories really keep you guessing with the mysteries (I pretty much guessed completely wrong with Legacy of Lies so the climax was really surprising to me) and they have those really awesome romances woven into them, where the romance is there and very much present but it's subtle and for some reason I really adored that about these books.

You should definitely check the series out, if you don't take my word for it that they're awesome, well... the bind up covers are so pretty! :]

Later.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I had no idea this was a new binding for an old series! I reviewed the first one for Amazon Vine thinking it was completely new.

    I guess anything you haven't read before is New For You. I enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had read all of these before they were re-released and loved them. Personally, I prefer the older covers, the ones I own. They look more original and eerie, better matching the tone of the books. The newer ones, though pretty, don't really stand out that much to me.

    I can't wait for The Back Door of Midnight to release. I'd been searching for it ever since I finished the others but at the time it was really just a rumor on the internet and now it is finally being published and released. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. You have an award here: http://ashleybook.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-first-award.html

    Please leave a thank you!

    Ashley C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm borrowing these from the library once it's been returned. I have heard that these are pretty scary, and for that I prefer the bind-up covers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.