Saturday, 31 July 2010

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

[UK ARC, won from Wondrous Reads]

Raised by Wolves
by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

UK Release Date (it's already released in the US): September 2010

Summary: Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?

So... I've literally been staring at this screen for about an hour trying to figure out what to write in this review (after spending the whole day trying to think of what to write).

Basically, the book seems to have left me speechless... as the Queen of Rambling About Anything and Everything, that is seriously impressive and not an easy thing to do.

It's hard to pin point exactly what it was I loved so much about the book -- maybe because I loved everything. The plot was great, the characters were fantastic (and the relationships between certain characters made my heart melt), the writing was brillaint and just... it was all fantastic -- basically, it ticked every box that marks a book as awesome.

When I was on the last chapter, I wanted to stop reading because I didn't want it to end and I didn't want to wait till next year for the sequel (but I couldn't stop because it was so addictive, I literally stayed up till 4am reading the book, even though I was beyond tired and I'm sure my eyes were contemplating jumping out of my head in protest to escape the strain I was putting on them -- well, you know, if eyes were capable of contemplating).

The relationships between the characters in the books was probably my favourite part, whether it was romantic (Dear Santa, can Chase be real please? -- Kthnxbai!) or sibling (Kaitlin/Bryn made me aww out loud multiple times) or parental (I loved Ali and even Callum, although he had his asshat moments) or friendship (Devon and Lake were epic)... they were all done so well and weirdly realistically given the fact that the book was about werewolves.

The werewolf aspect was great -- I'm not the biggest werewolf fan, there have been a couple of werewolf books that I've read and loved but I don't go out of my way to read them, but this one, as soon as Robyn Schneider (a.k.a. Violet Haberdasher, author of Knightley Academy) mentioned the book in one of her BlogTV shows I knew I had to read it and it didn't disappoint. It's pretty much my favourite werewolf novel that I've ever read.

Beyond that, it also makes the top ten in my lists of favourite books ever, favourite book series, favourite books of the year and favourite supernatural books (I like lists, sue me).

To be honest, that's all I can force my brain to say about it, words don't seem to want to co-operate with my love of the book.

You should all go read it... while I go plot a way to not have to wait till Summer 2011 to read the sequel (I'm thinking maybe I could sell my soul? Or my brother? although, really, I think if I traded my brother for the book, I'd totally be getting the better end of the deal). =P

Later.

P.s. Trufax:

Lanna[lovely]Pidge - Art is in the agony. says:
Why is it that the good books are harder to review? *facepalm*

Julie says:
Because good reviews tend to sound like a formula or an incoherent mess

Incoherent mess? Check!

3 comments:

  1. This book left me speechless as well. It was written well and I loved all of her charcters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, loved, LOVED this book. It was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the first book of Rasied by Wolves and the second, that I just finished, and can't wait for the third!!! I'm hoping bryn becomes a werewolf! So yeah loved all your Rasied by Wolves and the Tattoo books!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.