Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Salvaged by Stefne Miller


Salvaged
Stefne Miller


My body was being torn apart, and my stomach felt as if it exploded. The pain was excruciating, and I was aware that I was dying…

“Mom?” My vision was murky, but I could see her face. Her face was bloody, and her eyes were large and full of fear.

Her voice calmed. “Get out of the car, Attie.” Her words sounded crisp and clear.

I looked into the backseat in search of Melody and found her lying covered in blood in a twisted heap on the floor. I turned my attention back to my mother and out of the corner of my eye saw fire.

“Get out, Attie!”

“Mom?”

Everything went dark.

Attie Reed should have died in the wreck that stole the lives of her mother and best friend. But her life was spared. Why?

When Attie moves to Oklahoma to stay with the Bennetts for the summer, she hopes she has left her nightmares behind. But her battle is far from over, and Riley Bennett steps forward to help her fight the nighttime monsters. As the battle wears on, Riley begins fighting monsters of his own: his feelings for Attie. And Attie realizes she must begin to face the monsters of the night herself if she wants to conquer them for good.

Can Attie’s life be Salvaged?

I'd been staring at this book for a while before Stefne offered me a copy. The cover always drew me in and the summary was fascinating. And after reading it, it is definitely more than just a pretty cover and intriguing summary.

I'll put this out here now for everyone. This book does have a lot about religion. As a (really bad) Catholic, it doesn't bug me. Especially the way it was portrayed here. But I do know some people just don't touch it and I understand that.

This book was so much more than I was expecting. Attie has to be one of the strongest characters I've ever read about, no matter how psychotic she thought herself to be. I totally and completely admire her. If I had to go through all she went through, I'd end up in a white rubber room rocking back and forth while wearing a straitjacket.

Riley is one of the most perfect guys there ever could be. And I'm not saying that he actually is perfect, but he's one of those guys that's just real. The kind of guy you could find in your high school, if you're lucky. Because I'm willing to guarantee you there's nobody like him in my school. He doesn't sparkle or fly and he's not really this bad boy with a motorcycle that has a heart of gold only for Attie. He's just...real.

Though I must admit, Jesus was my favorite character. The way I've always seen and been taught to see Jesus is TOTALLY different from how he was portrayed here. He was sarcastic, He wore jeans, but He also would tell Attie when she was just plain wrong. A Sarcastic God? Please, sign me up.

This book also came with a roller coaster of emotions. For most of the book, I was smiling because Riley was always saying or thinking or doing something adorable. Riley brought a lot of cute and funny scenes. But then on the very next page, I would start tearing up and my heart would break. It was intense and emotional and I'm really glad anytime I sat down thinking I'd finish it in one sitting I had to stop for some reason or another. (Kids, don't float in a cold pool for a two hours. Just don't do it. Especially at 8 at night.)

The only thing I didn't like was when they were texting, they didn't use proper English. Yes, I am one of those texters. I'm not insane about it and don't bother with contractions, but full words. Always full words.

I'd also like to point out that this book mentions Kenny Chesney and She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy. That's some automatic win right there.

Simply put, this book is magical and one that will stick with me for a very long time.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. shakira rodriguez20 May 2012 at 01:08

    this book salvaged is a really interesting book i loved it nd think ppl would really enjoy this book alot i can read this book over nd over again its that good of a book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.