Saturday, 17 July 2010

Split by Swati Avasthi


Split
Swati Avasthi
Sixteen-Year-Old Jace Witherspoon arrives at the doorstep of his estranged brother Christian with a re-landscaped face (courtesy of his father’s fist), $3.84, and a secret.

He tries to move on, going for new friends, a new school, and a new job, but all his changes can’t make him forget what he left behind—his mother, who is still trapped with his dad, and his ex-girlfriend, who is keeping his secret. At least so far.

Worst of all, Jace realizes that if he really wants to move forward, he may first have to do what scares him most: He may have to go back. First-time novelist Swati Avasthi has created a riveting and remarkably nuanced portrait of what happens after. After you’ve said enough, after you’ve run, after you’ve made the split — how do you begin to live again? Readers won’t be able to put this intense page-turner down.


Split isn't the kind of story I usually read. But I like broadening my horizons from time to time, so I read it. I picked it up around 1 o'clock on Sunday. I like to read in the car and I was going out with my parents. I read half of it. Then Sunday night I finished setting up reviews and everything for the Read-A-Thon. So I read the second half.

This book is powerful. Punched in the gut, feeling the bruises on your face, fighting back tears powerful.

While reading I was fairly good. I didn't cry, I only cringed a few times, and all was well. Now that I've digested and let the book really sink in, I want to cry. I can feel that little ball in my throat that won't go away just thinking about it.

This book reinforces my desire to go into psychology. This book reminds me how important teachers are to kids, even if it's out of the classroom and they aren't your teacher. This book...is not a light summer read.

I don't know if there really are words for this novel. This might very well have been the must intense, thought provoking book I've read since The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie.

Honestly, that's as coherent as this review is going to get. I don't think I have anything else I can say. If you need a thought provoking, powerful, intense read, then this is the go to book.

--Julie

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I loved this book and found myself thinking about it for some time afterward. It was a surprise for me--I had no idea what it was about. I think it's a great book for teachers and psychologists and anyone who could potentially work with victims (or perpetrators) of abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that make me incoherent - I think it's weird that when you love a book, you just can't find the words to describe it! I'll definitely be picking this up if I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! It's good to read a book you wouldn't normally read every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that you are a part of the Debut Author Challenge! That is so amazing that you are supporting debut authors and I only recently found out that I am going to be one!!! I wanted to ask if you wouldn’t mind heading over to my blog and giving me your opinion. As a blogger turned author I would really appreciate it and the publisher is still giving out ARCs so you might have a chance at a free copy! Thank you and I hope you will stop by and check out The Thirteenth Chime!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    P.S.- My release date if Friday the 13th (August this year) isn't that crazy?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.