Saturday, 24 July 2010

Troy High by Shana Norris

Troy High
by Shana Norris
Summary: Homer’s Iliad, the classic tale of love and revenge, is shrewdly retold for teens in Troy High.

Narrated by Cassie, a shy outsider at Troy High, the story follows the Trojans and Spartans as they declare war on the football field.

After the beautiful Elena—who used to be the captain of the Spartan cheerleaders—transfers to Troy High and falls madly in love with Cassie’s brother Perry, the Spartans vow that the annual homecoming game will never be forgotten. Off the football field, an escalating prank war fuels tensions between the schools.


The stakes are raised when Cassie is forced to choose between the boy she loves (a Spartan) and loyalty to her family and school. Troy High will seduce readers with its cast of mythic proportions.

This book was... good. Just good; not great or fantastic or awesome. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

Really, I think it had the potential to be really great but something about it just fell flat -- I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters, the plot was just... meh. Kind of predictable, none of the pranks shocked or surprised me and some of them probably should have been funny but they just weren't.

The book was entertaining, fast paced and pretty short (don't let the size of the book fool you, the font is pretty big) - I would recommend it, if you just want something light and fun to read or if you're into the whole Helen of Troy thing but don't go into it expecting some epic romance or tragedy, the characters come across as shallow and their personalities are really flat.

I did like the Greg and Cassie relationship but although that was there, it felt rushed and there wasn't a lot of it and the conflict felt forced and unrealistic. Also, both of their characters kind of annoyed me -- they're both immature and do really stupid things... which is fair enough really, they're not supposed to be perfect, it was just really irritating because it comes across that we're supposed to think that they're different; that they see beyond the stupid rivalry, that they're mature and smart and that their friendship and love for each other is this strong bond... but it's like we're told that we're supposed to see one thing but we're shown something different entirely.

I don't like giving negative reviews, I honestly did like this book -- it's just that, although it was enjoyable to read at the time, it was forgettable and left no impression on me at all (beyond thinking about what to write in this review).

The sign of a great book is when I turn the last page and I feel sad because the story is over or I at least feel something and it leaves a lingering impression on me that has me thinking of the story for the rest of the day (or longer, depending on how good the book was). With this book, when I finished the last page I literally didn't feel anything, I just put it up on my Read Shelf and walked away without a second thought about the story.

I read the book because I wanted something lighter after reading The Sky is Everywhere, so the book served it's purpose in that sense. I guess that's all I can say about it really... don't let my review put you off reading it, you might have a completely different opinion from me and even if you don't, the book is still entertaining.

Later.

10 comments:

  1. As hard as it probably was for you, you gave an honest review. And that's all your readers ask for. If every single book review was exciting and wonderful and terrific then nobody would know which to pick up and read first. Not all books are created equal and one persons opinion can differ from another, but your review is what you promise. Honest. Thank you for giving your readers what is sometimes hard to find in other reviewers blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sucks that this wasn't good. I love THE ILIAD and most adaptations of it, but I think I'm going to pass on this one. There are just some things you shouldn't modernize or else you'll lose the essence. IMHO, this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review :) I may get this one from the library instead of buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angelica
    This book was amazing best book i ever read just finished it i cried because it was so good...... happy tears lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book. It was really interesting, had lots of good details, and had some very good visual details as well. I am only fourteen and I finished this book in only about a week or two. I wish I was still reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They should make a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished this book I thought it was good but it was cheesy at many points and predictable. And i'd also liked to have seen more characteristics from the characters like more info. about them! Great review and I relate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book was really awewsome u should totally write a second book to continue this one. well see ya lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. i read this book and it IS AWESOME its so intresting and theirs so many twists and turns and its so FASCINATING !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.