Saturday, 7 August 2010

An Interview with Shari Maurer

While I recover from vacation (has anyone else noticed that no matter how relaxing a vacation is, you need a bit of time to recover and readjust?), Shari Maurer, the author of Change of Heart, is here to answer some questions!

How would you definite love? Lanna and I ask every author this because there's so many different answers!

Love is the overwhelming, irrational desire to want to be with someone.

What are 5 books you would recommend?

This is tough because there are so many books I've read that I've loved, particularly from the Class of 2K10 and The Tenners. Without singling out any of their books, these are some others I feel strongly about:

Scars by Cheryl Rainfield
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
Crash Into Me by Albert Borris
The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (you can't go wrong with any of her books)
Are You There God, It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume (a classic from when I was younger that is still relevant today)

What is one book you wish you wrote?

Any of Laurie Halse Andersen's books. She writes with a power that just blows me away.

Where is your favorite place to write?

My latest is on my patio in my backyard. We got a new set that I love and I take my netbook out there and I feel like I'm totally escaping. I spent some time at Duke University this summer and found two great places there, but as I probably won't get back there, I'm not sure they count.

Who is your favorite literary character?

Atticus Finch.

Change of Heart is about a very scary, very serious subject matter. How did you feel when actually writing it?

The more research I did, particularly in talking to transplant recipients, the easier the story became to write. As the wife of a cardiologist, we live every day with the truth about heart disease, so writing about Emmi was a natural outflow from our dinner discussions. My heart aches when I hear about my husband's patients who are waiting for hearts and I was able to use that as I wrote about Emmi's journey.

If I could put in a plug here, writing about Emmi's long wait for a heart made me realize how important it is to become an organ donor. We never want to think about something that awful happening, but if it did, wouldn't it be great to know that you or your family member could save up to eight lives? Please visit www.donatelife.net for more info. Thanks!

Do you think you could ever seen Change of Heart as a movie?

Absolutely. It's floating around Hollywood as we speak, so my fingers are crossed that we can find someone who feels the same way!

Thanks so much for the interview, Shari!

To learn more about Shari, Change of Heart, and the story of it all, go to Shari's website here.

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You've just been awarded the veratile blogger award from The Cupcake Queen Book Reviews!

    http://cupcakequeenbookreviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/cupcake-queens-first-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview, Shari!

    Nicole weaver
    http://www.melangeofcultures.wordpress.com
    http://outskirtspress.com/nicoleweaver

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.