Thursday, 12 August 2010

You Wish by Mandy Hubbard


You Wish
Mandy Hubbard


What if all your wishes really came true?

Kayla McHenry’s sweet sixteen sucks! Her dad left,
her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy Kayla’s secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin’ do.

Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink
My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year’s supply of gumballs arrives. A boy named Ken with a disturbing resemblance to the doll of the same name stalks her. As the ghosts of Kayla’s wishes-past appear, they take her on a wild ride . . . but they MUST STOP. Because when she was fifteen? She wished Ben Mackenzie would kiss her. And Ben is her best friend’s boyfriend.


I LOVED Prada and Prejudice. I even brought it on vacation to reread it. So, I had really high hopes for You Wish that were FULLY met.

You Wish was funny, cute and had a real character. I related to Kayla, as someone who's also going into my junior year trying to figure out if my best friend is REALLY my best friend anymore. Sadly, I don't think my wishes are going to be granted.

The book was addicting, keeping me up late and making me read it all in a day. And yes, in ways it was light and fluffy, with lots of humor thrown in. Yet there was also the undertone of seriousness about finding yourself and being honest about who you are. It's an important thing to have in high school, that sense of self. Of knowing who you are and being confident in it, no matter what others think. Because high school is just 4 years with people who are either careless or just as confused as you are.

I keep wanting to come back to how funny this book was. A pony, a talking doll, and a living Ken. It was hysterical! How can it not be?

And then there was Ben. Oh Ben. He's one of those REALLY sweet guys in YA. He wasn't one of those bad boy rebels, though he did have an addiction to thrills and adrenaline rushes. But riding dirt bikes doesn't change that he's such a sweetheart.

This is another perfect summer read. Adorable, entertaining, and that little lesson that sometimes we all need to remember with some cute guy on the side. Another book for my favorites shelf! Thanks to Erin Lynn Jeffreys Hodges for recommending this one!

--Julie

7 comments:

  1. I just bought this the other day - so excited to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. Could you delete my last comment? My brain kinda fizzled out at the end. :-)

    I wanted to say that your review confirmed what I hoped for this book, since I already love Mandy's blog and think she comes up with fantastically clever ideas!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept of You Wish--I think I'll definitely have to get my hands on a copy. And it's so hard to go past that vibrant cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My copy is winging its way to me at the moment, and I can't wait for it to arrive and your review has made me want it even more, it sounds like a fab summer read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I'm doing a book giveaway on my blog and thought you might be interested! Check it out: http://amandarosetew.blogspot.com/

    Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an entertaining fun read with a unique story line. When I'm in the mood for something light and fun, I'll go looking for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea for this book. It's something we can all relate to. An absolute must-read :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.