Saturday, 18 September 2010

At First Sight by Catherine Hapka

At First Sight
by Catherine Hapka

Summary: In At First Sight, when Lauren meets the perfect guy at the planetarium, she feels like the stars have finally aligned in her favor. The only problem is she met him in the dark and they never got a good look at each other… or got each other’s names. Now, Lauren must take matters into her own hands and find the mystery guy before she loses him forever.

Okay, don't let the covers of the rom com books fool you - the cartoon covers really don't do the books justice at all, they make them look like immature chick lit. Are they chick lit-ish? Definitely. But they're much better and more enjoyable than the covers make them seem. I really, really wish the romcom covers would get redesigned getting rid of the cartoons (not that the artwork is bad - it's just... not good at representing the books. Jennifer Echols new cover for The Boys Next Door sequel, Endless Summer, is perfect for these kinds of books).

...And I guess I should get to the review part of this - review. I just wanted to mention the cover thing, because the covers really put me off buying these books in the beginning (and even though we're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, admit it, a pretty cover goes a long way to making you want to read a book).

Anyway, I really liked this book. It was cute and at times I wanted to bash the main character and love interests heads together for being so daft, but overall, it was a good book.

The plot could be predictable at times, but I was okay with that for this story, I wasn't looking for anything mind blowingly original or anything - this was a feel good book that left me smiling.

The text talk in the facebook messages irritated me beyond belief (seriously - making a smart character type like that is one easy way to make them go from sounding smart to seeming like an idiot in a matter of seconds. Not every young person types using awful text talk, but not a lot of authors seem to show that though, instead they tend to go with the typical teen text talk cliche) and that was the only thing in the book that was a definite negative for me, but there wasn't so much of it that it became a big problem.

Lauren was a likeable main character and it was easy to relate to her, even though sometimes I just wanted to scream at her to do or say something differently. And Riley, he was pretty much made of adorable... but he could be so annoyingly oblivious that, once again, I wanted to scream at him (well, if they weren't fictional - I think screaming at a book may make it seem like I've lost my marbles).

I just finished reading a book yesterday that was really intense and emotionally draining and this book was exactly what I needed to read next: something light, fast paced and fun, perfect to recharge my emotions.

Anyway, I recommend the book and if you haven't tried any of the Simon Pulse rom coms then you should check some of them out.

Later.

P.s. sorry this review is so scattered and awful, I'm half asleep and my migrain is making it feel like I have an army of little people tap dancing on my brain right now.

P.p.s. What do you think of the cartoon covers? Yay or nay? Agree with what I said or do you think the covers fit the books just fine?

2 comments:

  1. Covers are such a vice for me these days. If they're not appealing, I tend to overlook the books, and that's often such a shame. I'm glad to hear this book was pretty good! I'll definitely add it to my TBR pile. Great review...and I hope your migraine feels better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, every now and then I just need a good romantic comedy. It reminds me why I still believe in love - in the possibility and sometimes impossibility of it all. And this one sounds like a pretty decent read. Thanks for the review. I thought that it was great - you made some really good points in it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.