Tuesday, 7 September 2010

The Duff by Kody Keplinger

The Duff
Kody Keplinger

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

I'm not sure what I can say about this book. I wasn't wowed, but I loved it all the same. It's even going to get a place on my favorites shelf while I attempt to figure out how exactly it will fit. And I forced my friend to buy a copy so I know she'll read it...eventually.

For me, it seems like at some point in every girl's life, they feel like a Duff. Probably at some point during high school. It might be brief, or it might be constant (*raises hand*). And it could be over things you can't change (Compared to my friends, I'm a friggin giant. Also not helpful when half the guys in your grade are still shorter than you.) or just not feeling gorgeous for a day. But this book made me think differently.

When Bianca has her "Ah-HA!" moment, I did too. It was nice to know we were on the same page.

Throughout the book, I related to Bianca. I mean, we aren't exactly alike, but I got her in a lot of ways. It kind of felt like I was having the in-depth chat about my feelings and insecurities high school girls seem to always have on TV with their BFFs. You know, those really deep chats that happen once in a blue moon in actual life? Yeah, those. And it was a nice change of pace. Nice to know that yes, I love my friends but I'm not alone in the fact that sometimes I just don't want to hang out with them, that I need something different. 

I basically felt like Bianca could be me. She could be any girl I see in my high school. And I think that's why I loved it. 

I'm not sure if most of this review made sense. Or if it was, you know, HELPFUL. But when I think about this book, that's all I can think about. And it's why I think that high school girls, the delicate but oh, so catty things we tend to be, should have to read this.

--Julie

P.S. When this posts, I'll be in school. My first day as a junior.  
...Is it summer yet?

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a really great book on a topic I think every girl/woman faces. Sometimes, we wish our friends were uglier so we would look prettier beside them; we feel like the ugly one. Ironically, I know a guy named Wesley who acts exactly like the one in this book. The name, perhaps? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen loads of reviews of this one today and I can't wait to receive it as part of the ARC tour I signed up for! Fab review!

    Good luck on your first day at school, I hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one looks really good and I cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this novel, i read it in one day and it honestly kept me entertained. I felt I was literally in Bianca's head and I can relate with her indecision between choosing what's easier and what's more complicated.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.