Friday, 24 September 2010

Entangled by Cat Clarke: Review & Contest [CLOSED]

Entangled
by Cat Clarke

Release date (UK): 6th of January 2011


Summary: The same questions whirl round and round in my head: What does he want from me? How could I have let this happen? AM I GOING TO DIE?

17-year-old Grace wakes up in a white room, with table, pens and paper – and no clue how she got there. As Grace pours her tangled life onto the page, she is forced to remember everything she's tried to forget. There’s falling hopelessly in love with the gorgeous Nat, and the unravelling of her relationship with her best friend Sal. But there’s something missing.

As hard as she’s trying to remember, is there something she just can’t see? Grace must face the most important question of all. Why is she here? A story of dangerous secrets, intense friendships and electrifying attraction.


This book was beyond fantastic. Fantastic, but also painful.

About a third of the way through I had to stop reading with the realisation that this book was going to break my heart. It was going to be one of those ones that left me feeling like my emotions had been thrown into a blender and left me torn to shreds. I wasn't wrong and while a part of me did want to go hide in my bed listening to happy music to escape the pain of the story, I just had to finish it.

I figured out what the plot twists were going to be early on (all except for one), but I hoped I was wrong and I was turning the pages with dread because I didn't want to be bawling my eyes out when one of the things finally happened - I felt like Grace.

It was really intense - and it felt sort of masochistic reading it, because it literally hurt. Grace's pain felt so real to me and when I was finished reading the book, I walked around in a mute Entangled induced daze for a few hours and the first thing I said was, "Stupid book, tearing me to pieces!" to my best friend because that's how it felt. Ten days later and the book is still getting to me.

Now, a book having that effect on me is a sign of how its brilliance, there aren't many that get under my skin like that but this one did and I wanted to email Cat and say, "Why? WHY would you do that to me? To Grace? I demand a sequel filled with rainbows and butterflies to make up for it!"... of course, I didn’t because it was the hurt that made the book so great, it was like -- the art was in the agony.

Books are often an escape, but for me this one wasn't - it was raw and intense and real and I absolutely love it for that... and I hate it for that too. I don't think I'll ever be able to reread it - and that is a compliment to the author, really. Some books worm their way into your heart and under your skin and you just know they're going to stick with you. This is one of them... but reading it hurt and rereading it would be too painful but it has definitely earned it’s place on my all time favourite books shelf.

It was like reading about everything about life that hurts and I dunno, sometimes I just need that in a book. If this book isn’t on your wish list, then add it, seriously.

CONTEST CLOSED!

Now, Quercus have awesomely said I can give away a copy of the ARC so to win a copy of Entangled just fill in this form (I think it's UK only so nearer the release date, I'll have a contest to give away a finished copy for you international people):






Later.

2 comments:

  1. I read it as well, and have to agree with what a fantastic voice Cat gave to the character. You could see the downward spiral coming, and there were parts where I wanted to stop reading and quickly ring the author and beg for a re-write into a different direction, but every detail made the book great. I can't wait to hear more from Cat Clarke.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.