Tuesday, 14 September 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

The Eternal Ones
Kirsten Miller

Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves, before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

Reincarnation is one of the things I've played with in the past. I quite honestly sat and meditated and attempted to learn about possible past lives. Any "success" I had was most likely my own imagination. But no matter what, it's a fascinating idea.

The beginning of this was slow. I was kinda bored, abandoning it every 20 pages or so. But maybe that was more of the fact I felt bad about not doing all of my school work. After the first 100 pages, pretty much shortly before Haven gets to New York, the novel becomes MUCH more interesting and such a page turner. I finished the book the same day I read the scene where Haven leaves for New York.


Iain threw me for several loops. Sometimes, I wanted to smack Haven for not getting what he was saying and why, but a lot of times he just seemed like an ass. He seemed ruder than Will and Jace in Cassandra Clare's books. And he lacked the justification for it. Yet other times, he made ME swoon with Haven for how romantic he was. If he just wasn't such a...


Haven was semi-bi-polar. Drove me CRAZY how often she changed her mind! She let the slightest thing change her opinion and went back and forth enough to hurt my head.


My favorite character was probably Beau. He has an epic name and gay characters are always more fun. Just absolutely adored him!


Truly, though, I ended up loving this book. I can't tell you WHY, but oh I do. It was romantic and full of adventure and while the main characters drove me batty, I'm REALLY excited for the sequel. So, so, SO excited. 


I think this is a book everyone should try. I might suggest getting it from the library or a friend instead of buying it because this does seem like a love it/hate it kind of book. And I think if anyone does hate it, it will be because of Haven and Iain. They are characters hard to really love, but something about being in high school with people 5000 times worse than they are makes it easy enough for me.


But try it. I loved it and it will sit happily on my favorites shelf and I will pet it's awesome. 


--Julie

2 comments:

  1. I keep debating whether or not to read this one, and I think I have officially decided that I will...great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some of the same issues you had - Iain was a total douche bag and I just couldn't move past it. And Haven's bi-polar crap drove me nuts. Unfortunately, I just couldn't move past these issues. I loved the idea of this book so much but was really disappointed in the execution.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.