Monday, 6 September 2010

The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing Hahn


The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall
Mary Downing Hahn


When twelve-year-old Florence boards the crowded horse-drawn coach in London, she looks forward to a new life with her great uncle and aunt at Crutchfield Hall, an old manor house in the English countryside. Anything will be better, she thinks, than the grim London orphanage where she has lived since her parents' death.

But Florence doesn't expect the ghost of her cousin Sophia, who haunts the cavernous rooms and dimly lit hallways of Crutchfield and concocts a plan to use Florence to help her achieve her murderous goals. Will Florence be able to convince the others in the household of the imminent danger and stop Sophia before it's too late?

I don't often read scary stories or mysteries and I'm not sure when I last read a middle grade novel. Yet the summary drew me in and several other bloggers seemed intrigued by this novel, so I gave it a shot.
The novel was slow to get into but once you got past the slow beginning, I found it captivating. The whole premise of it wasn't entirely new, but it seemed like there was a new twist here.

The scenery is wonderfully explained. I could see everything I read in my head very well. Even Sophia was easy for me to see.

I found myself very sympathetic to Florence and James throughout the whole novel. They were such sweet characters that couldn't help where there lives were.

The Ghost of the Crutchfield Hall was a wonderful novel for the young and the old alike!

--Julie

P.S. I got this from netgalley, hence why you've never seen it on an IMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.