Thursday, 30 September 2010

You Wish by Mandy Hubbard


You Wish
by Mandy Hubbard

Summary: 1 Wish
2 Girls in love with the same boy
14 Days to stop the madness!

Kayla McHenry's sweet sixteen sucks! Her dad left, her grades dropped, and her BFF is dating the boy Kayla's secretly loved for years. Blowing out her candles, Kayla thinks: I wish my birthday wishes actually came true. Because they never freakin' do.

Kayla wakes the next day to a life-sized, bright pink My Little Pony outside her window. Then a year's supply of gumballs arrives. A boy named Ken with a disturbing resemblance to the doll of the same name stalks her. As the ghosts of Kayla's wishes-past appear, they take her on a wild ride . . . but they MUST STOP.

Because when she was fifteen? She wished Ben Mackenzie would kiss her.

And Ben is her best friend's boyfriend.

Confession: when I first started reading this book, I was annoyed. I was so annoyed by the character - I thought she was whiny and judgemental and the pop culture references irritated me beyond belief… it’s a pet peeve I didn’t even know I had because it makes it seem like the author is trying to hard to be “cool” and modern. I thought I was going to be annoyed by the book and have to force myself to read it.

I am so insanely glad that I was proven wrong. I love being proven wrong like this.

I’m not sure when I got hooked on the story, but it was within the first handful of chapters definitely and I could not put the book down - seriously, I left my dinner in the microwave to heat up later so I could finish the book… I literally growled at my sister for disturbing me while I was reading.

I warmed up to the main character pretty fast. She was far from perfect and I realised quickly that the things that irritated me about her initially were the things that made her real and there was way more to her than just those things.

Now - the plot, I thought it was going to be cliché and predictable… and while some aspects were, I was surprised by the twists more often than not. And while I was reading, there was a lot of actual laugh out loud moments and I love it when a book can make me really laugh -- I’m easily amused, so you’d think that would be an easy thing to do, but surprisingly not a lot of books manage it.

Ann, Ken and the pony were my favourite characters/part of the book (yes, I consider the pony a character) - they cracked me up so much and were so sweet and I wished that I could have them in my life in all of their wonderful weirdness. There’s not much else I can say about them without spoiling the book.

The romance in the book... well, that was one of the reasons I read the book in the first place. I have a weakness for romantic comedy stories and this one was no exception (Ben was really lovely without turning into one of those guys that you know can't possibly exist outside of fiction, I've known guys like him and he's not perfect, he's just awesome).

It surprised me that the romance wasn't my favourite aspect of the book, I loved how realistically it was done though -- I could really relate to the situation that Kayla was in and so can a lot of other people probably (where you like someone first and then your friend dates them but you never admitted to liking them first so you can't really say anything -- happened to me a few times when I was younger, not fun at all).

Basically, the book was hilarious and cute and even though it’s very chick-lit, there was actually more depth to the story than you would think -- with books like this, I generally go into reading them expecting to be entertained and not much else, but this book was just… more. I really adored it and it’s one that I’ll happily reread when I need something to make me smile so much that my face hurts.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. OMG. I forgot to mention the romance in my review. I tend to do that, though I loved it too.

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed it as well. I felt the same with most of what you said. Especially with the expectations of just this light read, but it really was so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that this book exceeded your expectations and really changed things around. Brilliant review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I bought this a while back but still haven't gotten around to it. I think I might pick it up this weekend after your great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.