Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Girl, Stolen 
by April Henry

Summary: Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen--with her inside!

Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there’s a reason to keep her. What Griffin doesn’t know is that Cheyenne is not only sick with pneumonia, she is blind. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare, and if she does, at what price?

I didn't mean to read this one right now -- I had a whole bunch of books I planned to read first... but then this arrived today and the cover was so pretty and then I read the last page (it's a habit) and then I read the first page. Then a few hours later I had finished the entire thing without really meaning to. It was addictive.

I really loved the book. The characters were awesome, somehow April Henry even managed to give the two dogs in the story distinct personalities and we barely even see them. I adored Griffin and Cheyenne, the book was told in both of their perspectives and it managed to tell both of their sad stories realistically without it being depressing and I really liked that about the book.

Cheyenne's chapters were so interesting to read -- she was ill and blind and outnumbered and totally in way over her head but she never once seemed like a weak character to me, she was such a strong female protagonist and I wasn't expecting that and I wasn't expecting how much I enjoyed reading the story from the perspective of a blind person. I thought that it would be something hard to get into, that having the main character rely on senses other than sight would make the story seem like it was lacking something because we wouldn't get all of those descriptions that help us picture the people and places.

I am so happy I was proven wrong, I never once had any difficulty filling in the visual blanks in the story (weirdly, if anything it was easier than reading a story with a non-blind main character). I loved all of these other details that were explained that would've been missed if she could see. It's made me really want to read more YA books told from the perspective of a blind protagonist, I've only ever read one story aside from this like that and it was an unpublished one on livejournal (which was awesome, but lacked that something extra that this book had and I did think the main character in that one was weak, the polar opposite of Cheyenne).

The book was fast paced and never boring and to be honest, the only problem I had with it was that it ended too soon - I wish it were longer or there was an epilogue or even an extra page or paragraph, hell, I'd even settle for an extra sentence or word (and you'll understand what I mean by that if you read the book).

Later.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really awesome book! With one of the main characters blind it definately perks my interest to see how it's written. Awesome review! I'll make sure to check this one out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering about this book, so I'm so happy that I got to read your review of it! I'll definitely be checking this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book, but I'm having trouble identifying what the author's message was. Help me out? I'd appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about a young blind and sick girl who accidentally gets kidnapped by another young teen. After they find out that her father is rich and powerful, they decide to keep her. Knowing that she is in trouble, Cheyenne relies on her inner resources to gain sympathy and stay alive. She befriends Griffin who kidnapped her and opens up a world that he didn't know existed. As it comes down to the exchange, Cheyenne realizes that just handing her over is not what is going to happen. She can't rely on Griffin so who can she rely on

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.