Thursday, 7 October 2010

Stork by Wendy Delsol

***Before I get to the review, I should warn you. It's currently quarter to 11 and I'm up at 4 am to get on a plane, but I didn't want to leave poor Lanna to take care of posts this ENTIRE week. So, I'm writing up this review and tomorrow's review.

 
Stork 
by Wendy Delsol


Summary: Sixteen-year-old Katla has just moved from Los Angeles to the sticks of Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, she learns to her horror that she’s a member of an ancient order of women who decide to whom certain babies will be born. Add to that Wade, the arrogant football star whom Katla regrettably fooled around with, and Jack, a gorgeous farm boy who initially seems to hate her. Soon Katla is having freaky dreams about a crying infant and learns that, as children, she and Jack shared a near-fatal, possibly mystical experience. 

Can Katla survive this major life makeover and find a dress for the homecoming dance? Drawing from Norse mythology and inspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen, debut author Wendy Delsol conceives an irreverent, highly entertaining novel about embracing change and the (baby) bumps along the way.

Stork was...interesting. It wasn't quite what I expected, but I did enjoy it.

It was truly a magical story, like a fairy tale. I didn't know the original legend (I mean, I know the IDEA of the Stork, but not the way it was done here) so it was very interesting to read it in this new perspective. And she would have dreams that kind of reminded me of a fairy realm. Odd connections, maybe, but true.

I loved how all the characters had histories that wove together. I love those connections the author makes, so they aren't just people in the same school, there's something bigger and deeper there.

My only problem was the romance. I mean, they had great chemistry and everything but it was just so...fast. One page they were all awkward and "Ehhh *poke* *flee*" (Not really, I'm using some creativity and...I'm tired.), and then suddenly they were dating. Once I thought about it, I was like "WOAH how'd that happen?" It wasn't something I really thought about until the very end of the book, but it was something I found odd.

And...yeah. Clearly, I can't write reviews in this state of mind (I'm going on a PLANE, world. A mother flipping PLANE). But this was a magical kind of book and I think fairytale lovers should definitely try it out!

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. I love your description of the romance. It cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.