Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss
Stephanie Perkins
Dutton
[December 2, 2010]


Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets √Čtienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited?


I've put this review off for a long time.
Mostly because I had a ton of favorite parts I wanted to quote but I just never had the time to, essentially, reread my copy.

This book may be one of the most perfect books I've ever read. The dialogue was funny and I laughed several times. The characters were perfectly imperfect and the setting was beautiful.

I read this book the day I got it without stopping. I sat in my chair and read and read back in September. This was when the whole "I'm gonna do my homework AS SOON AS I GET HOME" thing was actually working so I could do things like that guilt-free. I think I might've stopped once to get more comfortable or to pee or something silly like that. Because...I HAD to know what was next. And the book wasn't that suspenseful...I just had to know.

St. Claire. You're all wondering about St. Claire, right? Well, he's the epitome of imperfect perfection. He had a girlfriend and he's short and he has other little flaws, but it made him human. St. Claire was realistic in a way that most guys in YA fiction aren't. Not every guy is tall and handsome and charming and gentleman-ly and very few sparkle. We all know that and yes it's nice to pretend there's as many perfect guys in the real world as their seem to be in fiction, but sometimes we need a real guy, yes?

The side characters totally helped make the story. They were funny and quirky and they didn't all love Anna right away. But I loved them, oh yes I did. And the girlfriend of St. Claire? It will take a LOT of strength to hate her when you first meet her. And this just ENHANCES THE AMAZING.

This book is simply amazing, a perfect fun read! If it's not already on your Holiday Wish list, it should be. Trust me. I'm so glad that Erin Lynn Jeffreys Hodges brought this one to my attention!

--Julie

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I keep hearing so many great things about this one so I think I'll definitely be buying a copy once its released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this fantastic review! I'm so, so happy that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a new follower(:
    http://maospoetry.blogspot.com/
    I'd love for you to follow me too(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered this book because of your review! I am glad to hear it was good. Can't wait to read it myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for this book! I've had it pre-ordered so it'll show up the day it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. √Čtienne was just as fantastic. He wasn't perfect and even Anna acknowledges that. He's fun and has a quirky sense of humor. Some of his antics had me laughing out loud. I also enjoyed that added drama of his relationship with his father. I think what was added was a perfect amount and too much more might have brought the story down. I also really liked their group of friends. They entire group struck my as real and would be people I would like to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.