Thursday, 11 November 2010

The Body Finder


The Body Finder
by Kimberly Derting

Release date (UK): today :)

Summary: Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

I had heard a lot of good things about The Body Finder and I was dying to read it for months, then when I finally got the chance, I was worried that it wouldn’t live up to expectations. I worried for nothing -- I really loved the book, it was fantastic.

It had the perfect mix of mystery, romance and just general awesomeness going on. And on top of that, it was really original which hasn’t been happening a lot recently -- we’ve mostly just been getting new spins on old story formulas/genres but The Body Finder wasn’t like that. Forget vampires and werewolves and all of that stuff - a girl with the ability to find murder victims and murderers, how awesome is that? (In a totally strange morbid kind of way, of course.)

My favourite part: the characters. Violet and Jay were awesome, they had such great chemistry and their relationship was awesome, it was really fun to read about that. They were best friends first - something which wins major awesome points with me because it’s such a refreshing change from all of the typical new boy/girl moves to town and falls for the main character - and the way Violets feelings were described was really realistic, if you’ve ever fallen for a friend then you’ll totally relate to what she’s going through. And Jay, well, he was just lovely; can I keep him please?

The fact that there was chapters from the killers point of view was brilliantly creepy (something that worked really well, which surprised me because I didn’t expect it to mix so well with Violet’s chapters and the romance in them). The mystery kept me hooked and turning pages as much as the romance did.

I’m not sure what else I can say about the book without spoiling it (or seeming too fangirlish), so I’ll just leave it at that. I can’t wait for the sequel, Desires of the Dead, to come out, it sounds even better than this one.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. the book sounds awesome ! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to move this book up in my TBR pile! I'm just a bit scared that I'll be disappointed, I tend to get such high expectations when a book gets all these wonderful reviews and when I finally read it I'm a bit let down.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really good things about this. I bought one at the Smart Chicks tour but never got around to reading it, I guess I'm worried it'll be TOO creepy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.