Monday, 15 November 2010

Matched by Ally Condie



Matched
Ally Condie
[November 30, 2010]


In the Society, Officials decide. Who you love. Where you work. When you die.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It’s barely any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one . . . until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she’s known and a path no one else has ever dared follow—between perfection and passion.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

 What can I say about Matched? That I loved it? That I want to marry this pretty, sparkly book? Or that my brother wants to marry this pretty, sparkly book? OR I can talk about my desperation for the sequel? Thoughts, anybody?

Cassia was an amazing heroine. She truly loved both boys and it was a genuinely hard choice. She was brave and tried to do what was best for her family, but also wanted to make sure SHE would be happy.  It was a killer choice and I don't know that I could pick either. She was also highly intelligent and clever.

Then there's Ky and Xander. It's impossible to hate them. Both love her and want her safe and happy. It seemed almost like they were trying to make her go for the other boy at the end of the book. I'm not even sure what team I'm on with this book. I know who Cassia prefers, but I don't know if that's who I prefer. The last time this happened was for The Iron King. 

Her family was amazing too. So supportive. They all risked their happiness, their jobs, their lives to help the rest of the family. They did whatever they could to make sure nothing happened to them and they were wonderfully supportive of Cassia. Then her brother, Bram, seemed like an actual kid. Not the kid that I babysit in my dreams, but someone I'd see walking around the middle school, despite the different worlds.

This story was captivating. I stayed up late reading it, then sat and read continuously the next day. You kind of have to tear yourself away from the book to get anything done. It's addicting, always wondering what will happen next.

My only fault with this book was that I didn't feel the connection between Ky and Cassia for a while. It wasn't until after Cassia admitted her feelings to herself did it seem like they really loved each other. It was kind of odd.

But beyond that, the writing was phenomenal and the story itself was different and lovely and everything wonderful with the world. I don't think it could've been done much better and I'll be begging for the sequel until I can get my hands on it!

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Glad you enjoyed it! I love reading this book and all the excitement! I do agree about the connection. It did take a while to show but I was glad that it did. Nice Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, Julie!

    I have read another review of Matched today and the first one wasn't very positive. It makes me wonder if I'll love or dislike it. Matched is pretty high on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.