Thursday, 30 December 2010

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

Bright Young Things
Anna Godbersen
HarperTeen
[October 12, 2010]

The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties. Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. 

All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star… 

Cordelia is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes. Overnight, she enters a world more thrilling and glamorous than she ever could have imagined—and more dangerous. It's a life anyone would kill for . . . and someone will. 

The only person Cordelia can trust is Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all: money, looks, and the love of Cordelia's brother, Charlie. But Astrid's perfect veneer hides a score of family secrets. 

Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls' fortunes will rise and fall—together and apart. 

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Luxe comes an epic new series set in the dizzying last summer of the Jazz Age.

I loved this book!

At first, I worried it'd be The Luxe set in the 20s and had an "OH NOEZ" moment. But then I decided I'd trust Anna and cross my fingers my heart would not be ripped out and stomped on like it was at the end of The Luxe series.

About half way through the book, I began thinking "This IS kind of like The Luxe..." then Anna started throwing the curveballs I should've been expecting that made it so totally different.

This book was addicting from the very beginning. I was totally engrossed and had to find out how it would end. The romances were amazing and I just...GAH. I loved all the romances in this book. *sigh*

And this book was totally not predictable. It was so different from anything I expected and so wonderful and SO MUCH LOVE.

Bright Young Things is the beginning of another fantastic series from Anna Godbersen. Very different from The Luxe, but still with all the romance and unexpected twists! I'll be eagerly waiting for the sequel!

--Julie

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I need to read this book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raise your hand if you wanted to be a flapper after reading this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking forward to reading this series, but first, I need to finish The Luxe series. I've yet to read Splendor. Glad you enjoyed Bright Young Things though, and I'm glad to hear it didn't resemble The Luxe too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review of a fantastic book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I FINALLY got this book through the letterbox yesterday after I pre-ordered it. It hasn't come out in the UK yet. :(
    So I'm happy that everyone says it's good.
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't really had much interest in reading this before. It just seemed kinda meh to me, but now you've got me convinced to at least give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this book! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.