Tuesday, 21 December 2010

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium
by Lauren Oliver

Release Date: February 1st, 2011

Summary: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -the deliria- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen.

Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

There are some books that are just so awesome that it’s easy for me to gush about all the things I loved about them and then there are a few rare gems that are just so beyond awesome that they leave me speechless.

…I’ve been staring at this page for about 20 minutes now. I think it’s safe to say that Delirium left me speechless.

But I guess, for the sake of the review, I’ll try to tell you why I loved it -- but I assure you now, whatever I write won’t even come close to doing the book/my feelings on the book justice.

I love dystopian novels and this is definitely one of my favourites (tied for first with The Hunger Games). The world Lauren Oliver created was really original and the way she wrote it sometimes even had me convinced that love was a disease. And then other times I felt claustrophobic and breathless just reading about this world they were in that, on the surface, seems all rainbows and butterflies when it’s really just a lie.

It’s easy to see how in their world people are brainwashed into believing that curing love will solve all their problems, I felt as conflicted as Lena did while I was reading.

Lena, she was an awesome protagonist. Sometimes she annoyed the hell out of me, sometimes I adored her and sometimes I wished I could be just like her -- she was the perfect character, because she wasn’t perfect, not even close. Alex? I just want to keep him. There isn’t much more I can say about him than that without spoiling the book.

I loved all of the characters really, even the ones that irritated me, it made them real, I loved how all of them were written.

When I finished the book, I hated Lauren Oliver (and adored her in that, “Ohai! You’re now one of my favourite authors.” type way). Seriously. I need the sequel now, I need to know what happens next - I wanted to cry when I saw on goodreads that the sequel was estimated to be released in 2012.

Basically, I just loved the book. It’s definitely one of my favourite books now and it makes the top five in my favourite book series’ I’ve ever read.

The funny thing is, I didn’t even really intend to read it right now -- I had at least five other books to read before I could get to Delirium, but I thought I’d just read one chapter since I was on my laptop anyway (and normally I hate e-books)… yeah, that didn’t go as I’d planned. I couldn’t stop reading. The only time I really stopped reading was when I wanted to gush about the book on MSN or when I had to sleep because my eyes were hurting from staring at the screen for so long (my eyes hurt now -- and I don’t regret it).

Later.

8 comments:

  1. I loved it too! So emotional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and so glad you like it. It left me speehless as well. The ending was heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really interesting synopsis. I would check it out because I loved Before I Fall so I would like to see what her take on the dystopian genre would be like .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds great! I really want to read this book!
    Happy Readings

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book was most definitely great. And I am right there with you with not wanting to wait THAT long for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG. Just read this is one sitting. BROKE. MY. FREAKING. HEART! SO GOOD though! I can't believe there's a sequel though! I'm so excited!!!!! But :( Sad at the same time. I don't know that she can top that book. Gah!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.