Friday, 31 December 2010

Prisoners in the Palace by Michaela MacColl (Mini Review)

Prisoners in the Palace
Michaela MacColl
Chronicle Books
[September 1, 2010]

London, 1838. Sixteen-year-old Liza's dreams of her society debut are dashed when her parents are killed in an accident. Penniless, she accepts the position of lady's maid to young Princess Victoria and steps unwittingly into the gossipy intrigue of the servant's world below-stairs as well as the trickery above. Is it possible that her changing circumstances may offer Liza the chance to determine her own fate, find true love, and secure the throne for her future queen? 

Meticulously based on newly discovered information, this riveting novel is as rich in historical detail as Catherine, Called Birdy, and as sizzling with intrigue as The Luxe.

Ever since falling in love with the Young Victoria, I've been wanting to learn more. And this book does tricks! It has a special cover and under the dust slip it has this cool cover...you have to see it for yourself. Needless to say, I had to have it! And it didn't disappoint.

I can't pinpoint why I loved this book. I wasn't crazy about how Victoria was portrayed. It may be how she really was, but she was shown in a different light in the movie and I preferred that way. But I loved the plot and the romance and...just so much about this book!
I wish I could say more, but I put off writing this review for so long, I'm not sure I can! But this has my stamp of approval!

--Julie

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading this right now and I agree that it's really good. The cover's amazing too. Great review Julie!
    -Danna
    http://friendlyreaderohyeah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover. And love reading books that are set in this time period. Definitely a book I'll keep my eye out for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has come across my desk a few times at the library and I always think about picking it up but I hadn't heard anything about it - good or bad. I may have to add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, I think this has to be one od the best historical fictions I've ever read! I loved the two covers and really enjoyed the story...it wasn't boring like I find most historical novels. I just reviewed it too on my blog, amandarosetew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.