Monday, 10 January 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe
Beth Revis
Razorbill
[January 11, 2011]

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. 
  Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules. 

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next. 

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

 This is one of those books were my words cannot do it justice. One of those books that makes me think of all the books on my Favorites book shelf and say "You are all LIES". One of those books that makes me think if I rated books out of 5 stars, I'd be saying "TEN FOR YOU BETH REVIS, you go Beth Revis."

I was surprised by this book. I didn't suspect a lot of the things that happened, but once the characters started connecting some of the dots, so did I. I was moving along with the characters, not just reading their story.

Elder and Amy sometimes frustrated me, but that's how I knew they were normal teenagers put in this strange position. I wanted to slap them a few times, but I understood their motives.

The plot wasn't just romance. I felt like I was reading a murder mystery...in space. The concept was something totally unique and different and wonderful. I'm not much of the sci-fi but this was refreshing, like a slap in the face. Sci-Fi and YA aren't exactly common.

I just...can't write anymore. There's too much awesome and I don't have good enough words. But this was refreshing and had my heart pounding and the romance was of epic proportions. Go buy it now. No really, get up. Go get some money. Go to bookstore.

Ten for you, Beth Revis. Ten for you.
And none for Gretchen Weiners.

-Julie

5 comments:

  1. Just finished this last night! And it was amazing! I totally felt as claustrophobic as the characters and I'm not even on a spaceship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, I loved this one too! Glad you enjoyed it so much :D

    (By the way, love the Mean Girls reference!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading it now and loving it and Jeff just reviewed it on our blog! Great review! I can't wait to finish it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! Can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second rave review of this book that I've read today. Can't wait to read it for myself. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.