Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


Anna and the French Kiss
by Stephanie Perkins

Summary: Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited?

I want to be able to write and create stories the way Stephanie Perkins can because this book was absolutely brilliant.

I want to move to Paris. I want to invent a time machine so I can go back and go to boarding school in Paris. I want to meet a boy just like Étienne and it doesn’t even matter if he’s short, because I’m only 5ft2 anyway.  All of these things are totally Stephanie Perkins fault, for writing such a bloody brilliant book.

I’ve kind of been avoiding reviewing this book for a few days because I don’t know what to say. Nothing I say will do it justice and pretty much everyone in the YA blog world has already read and reviewed the book, summing up it’s awesomeness way better than I ever could.

Even John Green (author of some of my favourite books of all time) said the book is amazing.

Now, for a thirty something year old male author to pimp out a book with a kind of chick lit-y title and cover without worrying about being poked fun of? You know he means it when he says it's awesome… plus, it’s John Green, he writes amazing and he reads amazing. I trust his judgement and now, having read the book, I can say that I completely agree with his opinion of the book.

I’m not sure how this review turned into rambling about John Green, getting back on track now:

The characters in the book were fantastic. Not one of them was perfect or portrayed as perfect, they were all realistic with realistic problems and flaws and I adored them all. Anna was an excellent protagonist, she screwed up, she made a lot of mistakes, she had her selfish moments without really intending to be selfish and she tried to make up for them and be a good friend… which is awesome, nobody is perfect, the best we can do is try to do what’s right, have good intentions and try to be a good person. She tries and I like that.

Étienne… *Melts. Swoons. Happy Sighs. Etc.* - I think that about sums him up.

The romance in the book was lovely, because it was one of those ones that built a friendship first and I adore that and it doesn’t happen a whole lot in the YA books I’ve been reading recently, it’s all been the girl falling in love with the new guy who is all mysterious or something like that and in the rare cases where she falls for her best friend, it’s someone she’s been friends for all her life or for years at least, so we don’t get to see the friendship build. But we get to see it in this book and I adored that.

Paris. Boarding school in Paris. Exploring Paris. *Happy sigh* I have to stop reading books set in Paris because it makes me want to live there. Or maybe I just need to visit, that might work better.

When I finished reading this book, my face literally hurt because I had been smiling almost the whole time I was reading.

I’ll stop gushing about the book now. It was excellent. Out of 5 stars? I’d give it 8. Stephanie Perkins is on my instant read list and is now right up there in the Awesome Author Hall of Fame (in my brain) with the likes of John Green, J K Rowling and Melina Marchetta.

Go read it.

Later.

P.s. Does anyone else wish the book had a better cover? I mean, I like the cover but it’s very typical chick lit and it doesn’t do the book justice. I hope the paperback gets a fantastically unique and awesome cover to match the awesome content.

8 comments:

  1. LOL, I love your review :) I just finished this book as well. It rocked!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This is already on my to be bought list, but now it has sky rocketed to the top:) France is so pretty and I agree, I want to go there too.
    -Danna
    http://friendlyreaderohyeah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it sounds like you really loved this book. I haven't read it, but now it's definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8 out of 5 stars? Wow! I've read nothing but glowing reviews for this...definitely on my next book order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book really was great, huh? I love your review - so funny. I feel the same way about the cover. It's not horrible, but it's just so "blah".
    Megan @ Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so much about this, and I will definitely be reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book. It was one of he best of 2010! Étienne is a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna and the French Kiss has everything I wanted in a book and more. This book.wow. I haven't been able to devote much time to reading in college, but when I got this book from Gail, I had to sit down and reading it. I devoured it almost immediately. This book was, beyond a doubt, wonderful. I am fully on the Anna Love Train. One of the great things about this book was the romance and the chemistry between the characters. Anna has a great personality, spunk, and awesome. I felt like anyone I know could be Anna, even myself. And St. Clair...I don't even know where to begin. St. Clair was everything you want in a guy and more. It is so unfair he is not real. And the chemistry between Anna and St. Clair was electric. I was truly wishing that I could be Anna and find someone as awesome as St. Clair while reading this book. I loved the writing in Anna and the French Kiss as much as the characters.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.