Thursday, 27 January 2011

Discussion: Book Quotes

Today I want to talk about quotes. Something all of my favourite books have in common is that they all have quotes I love, quotes that stick with me for years after I've read the books.

Finding a quote I love in a book is one of my favourite parts of reading -- when, in just one sentence or paragraph, an author manages to string some words together in a way that really moves me or that I connect with... those moments are awesome.

Sometimes quotes make me read a book. I am shamefully addicted to tumblr and quotes are always popping up on my tumblr dashboard and I've ended up buying so many books because of that -- because if an author manages to write something that awesome, I want to see if the rest of the book lives up to the awesomeness of the quote.

(I also try to pimp out my favourite books that way too: I post quotes on my tumblr and submit them to the quote-book tumblr in the hopes that maybe someone will be like me, driven to read the book because they like the quote. I think it's likely, because all of the quotes I have submitted to quote-book get 600-2000 likes/reblogs.)

Now, seeing as this post is about quotes, I'm going to post some of my favourites (I'll just choose one quote from each book, because all of my favourite books are ridiculously quotable):

"It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love."Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

"My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy." The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

"At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we exstinguish ourselves."Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

"Be careful what you show the world. You never know when the wolf is watching." Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

"Why am I the way I am? What a weird question. Why is anyone the way they are? Nature or nurture? A bit of both? Maybe for some people it’s neither. Maybe they were supposed to turn out a certain way, but then something terrible happened. And maybe nothing was ever the same again. Maybe." Entangled by Cat Clarke

"What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person." Paper Towns by John Green

"Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'. I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful." Looking for Alaska by John Green

"She fell, she hurt, she felt. She lived. And for all the tumble of her experiences, she still had hope. Maybe this next time would do the trick. Or maybe not. But unless you stepped into the game, you would never know."This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Discussion questions:

1. Has a quote ever made you read a book/want to read a book?
2. What are some of your favourite quotes from books?

Later.

7 comments:

  1. i feel like throwing confetti since you have, like, amazing taste :) love all the quotes you included, and i agree, those books (of the ones which i have read, that is) are ridiculously quoteable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great quotations!
    Think my favourite quotation is from 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck - ”Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don’t belong no place...With us it ain’t like that. We got a future. We got somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us"

    Thanks for such an interesting post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quotes, and some of the best really ARE from books. One of my favorite books is the Perks of Being a Wallflower so I'm glad you included that...great quote you picked. That book is filled with some amazing quotes on life and love and just...everything. I love it.

    I love this quote from My Sister's Keeper-


    "You don’t love someone because they’re perfect,” she says. “You love them in spite of the fact that they’re not.”

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing quotes, as Audrey said great taste! I couldn't say here because the list would go on forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First question, yes! If I find a good quote somewhere (like here), I normally end up reading the book.

    Two of my favorite quotes are
    "Everyone's dying, Cameron. A little, every day. Make it count."
    and
    "People fail. They get dumped. They bomb tests. They lose the big game or srew up in a hundred small ways or get rejected or have to start over. They feel confused and scared. Or sometimes they don't feel like they fit in. They're part of some kind of primal, universal loneliness and that's just the way it is and you have to learn to deal and a big vanilla smoothie is not the answer, you know?"
    They're both from Going Bovine by Libba Bray, one of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quotes from John Green's books made me crave for them more than I did before. Which I didn't know was possible, because his books has been on the top of my i-need-to-have-these-books-now-no-matter-what list for ages. ( I have not read them yet, since I'm on a no book buying promise to myself, and my favorite book stores which I do my impulse promise-breaking shopping do not have his books)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty is nothing but amazing quote after amazing quote. I wouldn't even know which to mention.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.