Monday, 3 January 2011

Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst

Enchanted Ivy
by Sarah Beth Durst

Summary: A story about getting into college. You know, taking the campus tour, talking to the gargoyles, flirting with the were-tigers, riding the dragons...

While visiting the campus of Princeton University, 16-year-old Lily discovers a secret gate to a magical realm and must race against time to save herself, her world, and any hope she has of college admission.


(I'm ill right now, so please forgive how badly written this review is.)

So I kinda of didn't like this book... at first.

It took me about 80 pages to get into it and in those 80 pages I was mostly irritated by the writing (too much description, not enough dialogue for my liking--or at least it seemed that way--too cryptic, Lily didn't demand answers when things got weird etc.) and I was only attached to one character who wasn't really in it much at that point.

But after that, something just changed and I was hooked and loved it. The book was really awesome once I got into it and I'm so glad I'm too stubborn to give up on books if I'm not into them from the start.

The world was really, really brilliant. I loved the whole two different Princeton's thing and the gargoyles and dragons and all that stuff. I especially loved the thing with the plants/trees (and I can't really say much more on that without spoiling it, but you'll understand what I mean once you read it).

The characters were really great, particularly the boys of the story -- Jake and Tye were lovely and I loved that there was like a hint of a love triangle in the book but it wasn't all angsty or drama filled, it was simple. Lily was a good protagonist, there were a few moments where I thought she was a bit too weak and wanted to scream at her but she definitely made up for it with a few scenes of pure awesomeness (again, you'll know which ones I mean when you read it).

The romance? Loved that too. It didn't feel like that was the point of the book, it was subtle enough that it was like reading a fantasy novel with a romance subplot instead of reading a fantasy romance where the love-y stuff is the focus. I got my typical girly romance fix without it being too much = Happy Lanna.

(The only issue I had with it was the mention of the soul mate thing. In a fantasy novel where magic exists, it could be meant literally and it's never really explained whether it was meant that way or whether it was just one of the characters quirky little charming lines.)

To sum up: awesome book. Go read it.

I would love to read more about these characters and this world but I think it was a standalone book. Damn. :(

Later.

5 comments:

  1. Stand alone? What do you mean stand alone? How could that book have been stand alone?

    Phew. Sorry, I'm freaking out a bit. I really want a sequel. lol I liked Tye too much for just one book. :)

    I agree with you though, the beginning was a little boring. I had to read it a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to decide if I want to read this one for a while now and your review really helped. I think I'll have to pick it up sometime in the near future. Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one looks really awesome, I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if it's a stand alone book... I hope it isn't, I just thought it might be because the way it ended tied things up properly and there wasn't a cliff hanger or anything and when I looked on goodreads, the authors next book isn't a sequel to this (at least, I don't think it is?). I hope I'm wrong. =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Sarah Beth Durst yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about Enchanted Ivy and Ice. Kudos to you for sticking it out the first 80 pages. It can sometimes be difficult to do that, especially when you have a giant TBR pile glaring at you. Glad you ended up enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.