Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Forsaken (Demon Trappers #1) by Jana Oliver

Forsaken (Demon Trappers #1)
by Jana Oliver

Note: this is the UK cover/title (I'll put the US version at the end of the post)

Summary: Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?
I really loved this book. It's one of the more original urban fantasy novels I've read in a long time (and it has this awesome dystopian aspect to it too, loved that).

My favourite thing? Probably the setting (closely followed by the characters).

The setting of the book was awesome. It’s in the not-so-distant future in Georgia and the whole financial structure of the country has kind of gone to wreck and ruin. And demons and angels exist and are out in the open, as well as witches and necromancers and all that.

Even though the world was kind of -- broken, I guess, it still seemed really great. The way the world was written, it was so easy to picture and I wanted to be a part of it and a part of the characters lives.

The characters? Yeah, they were awesome. Even the demons had a kind of personality to them. Riley managed to be kick ass but still realistic and the times where she needed help, she didn’t seem like a damsel in distress, she fought her own battles. And the boys… well, there were three awesome ones in the book and I’d very much like to keep them all. There was the nice guy, Mr Mysterious and then the sort of brooding, sarcastic, almost-bad-boy-type.

Don’t get me wrong, when I mention the guys being awesome, that’s not to say the book is all about the romance because it isn’t. Really, the romance was kind of… subtle, I guess. It wasn’t really made into too much of a big deal and came across as more of a subplot, which I liked.

The actual plot? Loved that. It was interesting and kept me hooked and it managed to leave me hanging just enough that I’m desperate for the sequel.

One aspect of the plot had me crying at 4am for about a whole three chapters but it may have been because I could relate to what the character was going through.

I guess I’ll leave it at that. The book was really good, I've read some more negative reviews of it too, so I guess it's just down to personal preferrence but it was definitely a win for me.

Later.

P.s. US version:







I love the covers of this book. I loved the US cover and then I got the UK one and… it’s so pretty in person, it has this waxy kind of feel to it.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! Glad you like the book. I just finished reading it and it was great. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look into this book. I do like the covers as well...and it has a cool feeling to it. I heart it when books have an interesting cover feel. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I can't wait to read this one and I'm so glad it's going straight to paperback so I can afford it:) I love the whole idea of the novel.
    -Danna
    http://friendlyreaderohyeah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.