Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin


Low Red Moon
by Ivy Devlin

UK release date: February 7th 2011

Summary: The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced. 

When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him—at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died.

I really liked this book. It was fun and fast paced and managed to not depress me, despite the fact it has quite a lot of sad themes in it (which is definitely a good thing).

Really, I can’t think of a whole lot to say about the book. I liked all of it, there wasn’t really anything that particularly annoyed me -- there just wasn’t much that I absolutely loved either, but there were a couple of things.

I loved the characters, especially Ben (and his uncle, although he wasn't in it much) and I adored the fact that the way the book was written, it made the forest feel more like a character than a setting - there was this life to it that was really great.

I think that was probably my favourite part of the book: the thing with the woods (and the odd little life Avery and her parents had there). The rest of it has been done before; the whole Red Riding Hood inspiration, the wolves, the romance... we’ve seen it all before--although it was done well here--but the forest thing was unique, something I haven’t read before in a book that I can remember.

One of the main things in the book--the romance between Avery and Ben--could’ve made me hate the book because it’s one of those instant connection, love-before-they-even-know-each-others-basic-likes-and-dislikes, type situations and that normally irritates me beyond belief. Their relationship didn’t really have much development, but for some reason it felt totally natural in this book. I do wish there was a bit more explanation about why they’re connected to each other though (or maybe more scenes where they actually got to know each other a bit more).

Actually, there were a couple of things I wish were explained more in the book but if there’s going to be a sequel I guess all of the loose ends can’t be neatly tied up... I don't know if there is going to be a sequel? The way it ends, it could work as a standalone novel but it definitely left things open for a sequel. I hope there will be.

I wish I could write a better review for the book, because I honestly did like it a lot, it’s just one of those books that I don’t have much to say about, I just liked it and I can’t pin point the exact reasons why and I’m not sure what it was about it that stopped me from loving the book.

If I had to rate it, I’d give it maybe 3.5 stars out of 5 (if I had reviewed right after reading it, it would’ve gotten 4 but I read another book right after it and it made me realise that it didn’t really stand out much, it wasn’t one of those books that got under my skin and stuck with me, I’ll probably forget all about it till the sequel is out, if there's a sequel at all).

Has to be mentioned: the cover (and I’m talking about the UK paperback version here) is absolutely gorgeous… it doesn’t look that special online, but in person, it’s all shiny and awesome and the inside is designed beautifully too with the red moons and things.

Later.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.