Monday, 31 January 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White


Paranormalcy 
by Kiersten White

Summary: Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Kick ass protagonist? Check.
Adorable fictional boy I wish were real? Check.
Original and totally awesome plot? Check.
Liked the writing? Check.
Made me laugh? Made me cry? Check, check.
Gorgeous cover? Definite check.

So basically the book ticked pretty much all of the boxes on the Lanna Loves This Book checklist. Well, the pretty cover is just an added bonus...

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it or not, because some bloggers I often find myself agreeing with weren’t too fond of it but then so many other people seemed to love it. I’m glad it lived up to all of the positive hype it had.

Sometimes, I was a little annoyed with Evie and her girly-girlness but then I realised that those little thing’s that irritated me gave her personality and set her apart from a lot of other female protagonists. I mean really, pink knives and a pink taser (which she calls “Tasey”) - I mentally face-palmed at her cliché girly obsession with pink but by the end I thought it was a cute little quirk of hers.

She managed to be kick ass while still being realistic; she didn’t always save the day, she wasn’t always ridiculously brave… but she had her shining moments and I think I kind of prefer that to the female characters who are unrealistic and made to be the hero all the time (and I definitely prefer it to the weak little damsels in distress).

And the boys of the story… well. Insert swoon here. And I know I say boys, plural - and one of them is actually really creepy but I still liked him he was like… awful. And sexy. Yes. Enough about that.

The plot was really unique and different to any other paranormal romances I’ve read… I mean sure, it did have some common elements, but the world and the setting and the portrayal of all the paranormal creatures was something different and made it all feel brand new.

I loved the minor characters too. Lish especially and I liked how there were grey areas, the characters weren’t just bad or good and the way Kiersten White wrote them even managed to make me feel sympathetic towards the bad guys.

I think that’s enough fangirling for one review. Loved the book, it made me laugh and cry and left me dying to read the sequel.

Later.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the MC's girlishness. It really bothered me at first but after getting to know her better it just made her seem like a more realistic person. I really liked Paranormalcy and Kiersten White's writing. Glad you did too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this one too! i actually really liked Evie's girlyness

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually LOVED her girliness, i'm getting tired of all these MCs who hate pink and don't think they're pretty and BLAH BLAH BLAH.

    It's seeming more cliche than the girly thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, well, well, I'm not one to say no to an adorable fictional about. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm listening to the audiobook at the moment and so far I'm loving it! I agree that she is a little overly girly but I think it is part of her charm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was those little face palm moments that made me love this book. It managed to be paranormal and dark without taking itself so darn seriously. It was super refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.