Friday, 7 January 2011

Unearthly by Cyndia Hand

Unearthly
Cynthia Hand
HarperTeen
[January 4, 2011]

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

This was a totally new spin on angels that I adored. The whole female-as-the-paranormal thing isn't as common in YA and I'm not sure I've ever read it with angels. For that, I applaud you Ms. Hand.

This book, won't lie, half of my love comes from the amazing love story. I really liked Tucker AND Christian, though I think I preferred Tucker more. I also started to predict his plot line a little bit, which took away some of the awesome factor. But Tucker was just an overall better guy, in my humble ol' opinion. And can you say COWBOY on TOP of all the personality awesome? Yummy.

While Clara isn't one of my favorite characters ever, she was an excellent character. She was a teenage girl, a real teenage girl, with wings. That happens sometimes, you know? I loved her back story and the way she figured things out. I loved her as a narrator to the story as well.

Clara's mom and brother were good side characters. I really liked all of the "smaller" characters, actually.

Overall, I really loved this. It was different and fun and just totally wonderful. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but this is probably the best angel book I've read.

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. Excellent review :) I reviewed Unearthly yesterday and I pretty much agree with everything you write, but I liked Clara and I LOVED TUCKER ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review.I don't read a paranormal romance since the summer. It's time to read one again.
    Happy Readings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this review, I'll definitely be picking it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this! I gave you a blogger award.

    http://lovelylittlelisha.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree--it's my favorite angel book so far (and there have been so many lately). The paranormal aspect definitely takes second place to the romance. I'm a Tucker fan!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.