Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium
Lauren Oliver
HarperTeen
[December 1, 2011]

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

 I really, really liked this book.

The romance was really amazing. The way it built steadily and then exploded. I really felt like they were in love and they were meant to be together. They had a perfect Romeo and Juliet-esque love story going on and it was truly beautiful to read.

Alex was an amazing character and Lena was too. Both were independent and intelligent and generous and sometimes I still wanted to slap them. Lena had a lot of amazing development as it got closer to the end and we got to know Alex more, seeing the effect he has on her. And lemme tell you, the two of these together? MAGIC.

I'm not obsessed with the romance in this book. Of course not.

The world this story took place in was so scary because it was realistic. It was very well developed and it's definitely one of the more likely dystopians. Something about all of the love-based dystopians always seems more likely. I could see it in my head and understood how society got to that point. 

I really, really liked this book over all. It's not quite a favorite (thought in my post-reading-haze, I thought it was) but I highly recommend it for anyone who loves a good romance.

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. I'm kind of the same way--I really liked Delirium, but I didn't hear choirs of angels after I finished it (though--omigod, that ending!).
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. The ending was crazy and I can't wait to see what's in store for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading Delirium and I LOVED it! The ending was really something. Great Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! I hope DELIRIUM doesn't describe any kind of likely future for us. Scary.

    I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did, but it totally pulled me in and kept me burning through pages. I don't ADORE it (the way I do, say, MATCHED), I just like it a lot. Can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also just finished reading Delirium last night...through blurry tears and all! I LOVED IT! The characters of Alex and Lena are so awesome, and I really felt the love between them..I read it so fast and the ending was so...uuugggh! Cant wait for the sequel!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.