Thursday, 10 February 2011

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

 *WARNING* If you haven't read Hex Hall, the synopsis will PROBABLY be a spoiler. Just sayin'. But you CAN go pick up the paperback, which came out last Tuesday. And you SHOULD.

Demonglass
Rachel Hawkins
Hyperion Books CH
[March 1, 2011]

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

Whenever I write a review, you guys know I often open with a line or two about the book. While reading this, I had a couple one-liners pop in my head, so bear with me while I use them all.

If John Green is the King of One-Liners, Rachel Hawkins is most definitely the Queen.
It's been a LONG time since a book kept me up until 4 in the morning.
After a crap day, I needed something to make me laugh and restore my faith in humanity. This book SUCCEEDED. (Kind of weird since most of the characters aren't really human, but you get the point.)

*sighs* Thank you for your patience.

This book cracked. Me. Up. I've made many references to how Paper Towns is a rainbow book with all its tabs. If I had used rainbow tabs, Demonglass may have out done it (but instead I used bright pink, for Jenna). I laughed a lot and sometimes I just had to close the book and have a giggle fit. At one of those moments, I told Rachel that we should bottle her genius and sell it. Anyone who follows me on twitter probably saw at least one of several tumblr posts with quotes that made me giggle. That was a FRACTION of the ones I marked.

At the same time, by the end I wanted to cry. Not just cry, no. I wanted to scream "OMG NO *sob* NO NO NO *sniffle* *cry* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO." I'm so emotionally attached to these characters, that the fact that anything bad could happen made me want to stop reading or throw the book or go "LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALA." I wanted them all to have these happy, rainbow-colored lives. Because I love them oh-so much.

Related: Archer <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I finished this book and was like "Wha? Where...isn't there more?" There was lots of disbelief. So then I did the most rational thing I could think of at 3:45 in the morning and hugged the book. I cuddled it and stroked the back and wished the next book would appear or another chapter would show up or SOMETHING that meant it wasn't over. But no.

So yeah...maybe this book was kind of epic and I'm not sure how I'll ever read a book again (I'm writing this at the end of January. I'm sure by now I've gotten over it...maybe.).

If, for some reason, you're reading this and haven't read Hex Hall, GO DO IT NOW. I don't care if it's midnight or the bookstore's three miles away and you don't have a car. GO GO GO GO GO. If you've read Hex Hall, which I hope you have if you're reading this, GO PRE-ORDER. NOW. Seriously. Do it. YOU NEED THIS BOOK IN YOUR LIFE.

--Julie

8 comments:

  1. OMG I want to read this book so badly now! Why did you have to write such a raving review? ;) Now I have to buy this one right away! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a huge crush on Rachel Hawkins. Like a third-grader does on Justin Bieber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN, JULIE.
    PREACH IT.
    God, I loved this book.
    Rachel Hawkin is just TOO funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right. I *do* need this book in my life. I see it popping up on different blogs from time to time and every time I think, "I waaaaant iiiiiit!"

    I'm a little confused though. I guess I thought this was a stand alone novel. Is it part of a series?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie: Demonglass is the sequel to Hex Hall and there's one more book coming out after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have you the Stylish Blogger Award! http://bookhi.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL i love this review:) It's spot on!

    I loved this book! Totally awesome ... but damn the ending made me want to scream/cry/sulk - I sooooooo need to know what happens next! I have no idea how I'm going to wait to find out *cries*

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN SISTER!!! .....awesome blogg btw, and I think pretty much everyone can agree with the whole 'NOOO-there must be more' thing when you get to the last page in the early hours of the morning thinking 'no! this can't be the end of the book.... maybe our genius writer hid the chapter in a secret compatment in the book? ...or maybe she used this invisible pen that you need the special black light to be able to see it...... and after clicking your heels multiple times, crossing your fingers&even finding the black neighbourhood cat begging it to tell the truth-->dangling the occasional dead gold fish once buried in the back yard-->you then realise yes, this IS the end....for now anyhow..... DUM DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM! ....and no amount of fairy sprinkles is going to make another chapter-->so indeed we must be patient.... a virtue many of us lack=]

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.