Thursday, 10 February 2011

Discussion: Honesty in Blogging

This discussion post is going to be a little different to our usual style.

Julie and I talk a lot on MSN. We often talk about blog related things. Today we ended up discussing a discussion post Julie wanted to do and then we decided to just post our discussion that we had on MSN*, instead of Julie rehashing it all in a post.  

Before we get to that.

Discussion questions:

1. How much honesty is too much honesty?
2. Is there a huge difference between too honest in general and too honest for you?
3. Would you like more discussion posts formatted like this (this being Julie/Lanna MSN discussion)? Or do you prefer the usual discussion style?

Julie & Lanna: Honesty Discussion


Julie says:
I'm tempted to do a post about how much honesty is too much honesty.

Lanna says:
What do you mean? Like... in reviews?

Julie says:
Reviews, discussions, just things we say on twitter/the blog. There's all kinds of unspoken rules in the community about things we can and can't talk, but lately that line seems to become thinner and thinner.

Lanna says:
Like what? =/

Julie says:
Like, when I first began blogging, asking about requesting ARCs or writing about it was kind of not something you did. You got the book or you didn't, you didn't talk about how. But lately, I see it more and more and I'm comfortable talking about it too.

We're more willing to talk about the negative aspects of the community, pulling them up because other people are and it's hurting as a whole so we want it to stop.

But sometimes people are just...harsh. You make a certain comment, someone reads it the wrong way, and they'll kind of...scold you.

Lanna says:
I don't think that's so much about the community changing, I think it's more to do with becoming more comfortable within the community. Like, in the beginning, you don't want to talk about/ask about ARC's because you don't want people to think you're just blogging for the free books or whatever... and the negative things, it's like, it's easier to be more open about that stuff once your comfortable because you don't need to worry so much about how it'll be received.

Julie says:
Well, it's not just me. It's other bloggers that started before us, some that started after us. It may not be a HUGE difference, but a few months can be a huge difference in the beginning.

Lanna says:
Mhmm, I tend to put that down to the fact that there's more bloggers... more people willing to help new bloggers. Like, Kristi has her Dear Story Siren post where people can ask about ARC's and things anonymously. There's more bloggers so there's more bloggers that talk about ARC's and so newer bloggers feel more comfortable talking about them (especially since they seem to be getting them faster).

And things like Speak Loudly have happened and other blogger dramas where everyone has been posting and speaking out about stuff... once you speak about big things like that, speaking about other negative things isn't such a big deal.

Julie says:
True.  But are we ever being too honest? Like our Speak Loudly post, was that too honest for us? Is me talking about my insecurities as a blogger too honest? Or is the line so far now that the only things people don't want to read at all are bathroom habits and when I'm on my period? (This conversation? Can go in totally ridiculous directions)

Lanna says:
The too honest vs. too honest for us are two completely different things - like, the for us one is basically just what we feel comfortable sharing with whoever happens to click on our blog. But the too honest in general thing... I think it just depends - like, is it offensive/mean and what effects will it have (like, take your blogger insecurities post, that wasn't hurting anyone and it was just basically a "does anyone else feel this way too?" type thing... but say someone put up a discussion post that was just flaming new bloggers or something - what good does that do? There's nothing positive about it, it's just mean).

The honesty thing should be judged like that - what someone is comfortable talking about, which varies from blogger to blogger (like some are fine talking about sex, others are more conservative). And whether or not it's being honest or crossing the line into being hurtful (and whether the impact the post has will be negative or positive).

Julie says:
...Maybe YOU should do this post :P

Lanna says:
I thought this was just one of our rambly discussions, forgot you were going to do a post on it…

Julie says:
Well, I suck at wording things. And you're doing infinitely better :P

Lanna says:
We should save time with discussion posts and just post our MSN conversations. ...Actually, we should do something like that sometime - don't think any other bloggers have done that.

Julie says:
We could that with this post.

/Discussion.

Later.

*The conversation above is pretty much the exact conversation we had on MSN, it's just been edited a little to fix typos/wrong wording to save confusion (although, there wasn't much to fix in this conversation). While editing, we kind of realized that we kind of have our own language and really just made it easier for you.

7 comments:

  1. I'm fairly comfortable with being honest and open about everything. AND I DO MEAN EVERYTHING. I mean I discussed my new miracle birth control pill on twitter, because that's my and I'm open about myself, including omg miracle pill is making the girls bigger. As for blogging, well I'll never pretend to like something I don't. I mean, I think there's a difference between being an asshole and being honest. And really, I've never seen a single review where the blogger was like F-this book, the writing sucks and so does the author as a person. So, I think on the whole, the book blogging community knows the difference.

    I also think that what a blogger shares is up to that blogger and no one else. If something makes you uncomfortable, don't share it. That being said, I'm pretty sure for me, there's no such thing as too honest. But, there may be for someone else,but I won't fault them for that, if that makes sense. I realize we all have different comfort levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, I've never thought of it as being "To honest" because that's just the way I am. I can understand where your coming from, for some it can be hard to know when to draw the line. If you feel uncomfortable at a certain point just stop and think is all I can say. If your having second thoughts about saying something that can also be an indication. There are things that many of us will not choose to discuss ever. As you guys might have noticed, like myself, I am now comfortable with vlogging, sharing and getting personal with my readers at times. I enjoy them getting to know me.

    Then there are bloggers who don't like any of that, they don't like to post their picture and get to personal or discuss things, and that is completely fine. Everyone has their personal preference. It's about following your gut instinct and knowing what is right for you.

    I quite like the way the conversation was set out, you guys should defiantly do it more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm up for honesty as long as its not hurting anyone and not 100% negative. I met someone through a fan forum and they had added me on LJ so I added them but all of their posts were basically bashing the shows they watched and I didn't need to hear all that hateful negativity so I removed them as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for giving us a peak into your conversation and thought process. I never would have even thought about that being a question - being "too honest". Course, I'm such a blabber that I'll tell anything and everything about myself. I figure why hide it - we've all got our crap. It's what unites us and helps us see we aren't so "off" after all!
    I enjoy getting a glimpse of who it is you are outside of just what you think about books. It gives insight into why you like the things you do, etc.
    I say be as honest as you feel comfortable being. If people don't like it, they don't have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I basically agree with what you two have said. What is the point in posting things that are basically hurtful to others? There is a fine line between people being overly sensitive and a blogger being a jerk, but I think most of us can figure it out. If there's a greater purpose to your post, but it may offend some people, that's fine. If you just feel like shooting off your mouth? I think that's out of line.

    And as for being "too honest" I'm not sure it's possible, except in the above context. I agree that people should share whatever they feel like sharing re: their personal life, etc. And being honest in reviews is really what I expect from bloggers, but I think that you can be completely honest while still being respectful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and P.S. I like the MSN style discussion, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First - great great great points you make concerning honesty.

    Personally I try and be as honest as possible while still remaining professional.

    Second - love the msn style ^^

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.