Saturday, 26 February 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay
Gayle Forman
Dutton Juvenile
[April 5, 2009]

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

This was a beautiful, beautiful book and Gayle Forman is clearly a genius.

Let me point out for you: I read the first 100-ish pages at home. I read the rest on a 3 and a half hour car ride. My little brother's next to me, my mom is driving, my dad is in front of me. So already, reading the last two thirds of this book is ridiculously haunting. Add the fact that yes, it HAD snowed just hours before we left, and I'm pretty sensitive. Especially since I read the most heartbreaking bits, for me, while in the car.

This book was just...wow. Heartbreaking. Thought provoking, for sure. I desperately wished I had my obnoxious-colored tabs so I can mark some of my favorite quotes. I'm sure I can find them on goodreads at least.

I don't know what there is to say about this book. The writing was practically poetic, the plot heartbreaking and deep and the characters were so well developed in such a short book. I loved each and every character in this book, truly. I don't think the choice would've been remotely possible for me to decide on my own.

I have to leave it here because anything else would spoil it. Just know this book is beautiful and you will cry and you will value your family more. And also know that I'm incredibly grateful I can just read the sequel now, without the enormous wait many others suffered through.

(And now I'm going to go down to the swimming pool where my family is waiting. Because I wrote this review immediately after the car trip, while on vacation. That's how much I loved this book.)

--Julie

4 comments:

  1. I FREAKING LOVED this book! So glad to hear you did, too! I can't wait to hear what you think of Where She Went--I thought the sequel was fantastic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I read this book on vacation too! We were in LA and my Dad drives like a maniac and lets just say I was freaking out. I also read the part where they all die while I was waiting in line at Disneyland. That was definitely interesting.... I totally agree that its just poetically amazingly perfect and I CANNOT wait for Where She Went!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book so so so much! I think I must've read it in a day, and cried absolute bucketloads! Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IF I STAY is a short read, but it packs so much in and I wanted to savor every moment. At times I found myself reading slower and drinking in the words because I didn't want the story to end.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.