Sunday, 20 February 2011

In My Mailbox (57) & Why We Do IMM...

In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie.

Quick note on recent drama before we get to the IMM part of this post:

Just wanted to mention something quickly. There’s been a little drama recently with the IMM meme, some people accusing bloggers of doing the meme to brag about what they got (I heard that Kristi/The Story Siren was specifically accused by someone? I dunno, I don’t pay much attention to twitter… but really, that’s ridiculous - whoever said that, are they even watching the same vlogs that I do? She’s so sweet and nice and it doesn’t even remotely come across as braggy when she does her videos).

I just wanted to make something clear: I love the IMM meme. But I hate making posts for it.

Writing up IMM posts feels like a chore. Have you noticed that over the past year I’ve gotten increasingly more lazy with the posts? I used to put the summaries and covers… now it’s titles with goodreads links and on a good day, a crappy print screen from Shelfari to show the covers.

The majority of books that I buy or get added to my wish list? It's because I saw them in someone’s IMM posts (usually Kristi’s, more often than not). I find out about books I probably wouldn’t have heard of before or decide I want to read books I had maybe overlooked before.

That’s why I love the IMM meme and so that’s why I do the posts even though it feels like a chore. Not to brag, but because the meme puts books on my radar that wouldn’t have been on there otherwise, so I figure maybe it might do the same for some of our readers too.

And Jessica over at Chapter Chicks made a good point in her IMM vlog last week - when you have a lot of books to read, sometimes it’ll take a while to get to them. And in cases of ARC’s, sometimes we get sent stuff we didn’t even request because we’re on a publishers mailing list and so we might not read everything we get… in those cases, mentioning books in an IMM post, it’s making sure those books do get some attention even if they won’t get a review up anytime soon.

So yeah, just wanted to clarify that… IMM = not done for bragging purposes. And for anyone that says Kristi is bragging just because she gets a lot of ARC's and is kind enough to take the time to show us the books she got, well, this is all I have to say to you:


...Sorry, couldn't resist the oppertunity to put the Tenth Doctor/David Tennant in the post. I spend way too much time on Tumblr. =P

-Lanna

[And I would like to note that because of some committee passing some rule that we have to say where we get our books from or get giant fines, this is INFINITELY EASIER than putting it in every post. Just saying.

Julie]

Now onto the actual In My Mailbox part of this post...

Julie:

So, Monday night I was lamenting how crap this week would be and I wasn't supposed to be getting books. I said that if some surprise books showed up that would be GREAT for a crap week, but if not, I'd be more depressed. So, of course Tuesday I come home to a surprise package. And half an hour later two more show up. And then I found out I won a book on Random Buzzers.

Hello, Jesus/God/Whatever Higher Power's Up There? I would also like all the stupid people in the world to disappear. Can we work on that? No? *sigh* Alright, worth a try.


For Review:
Hourglass by Myra McEntire
Where She Went by Gayle Forman
What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
Badd by Tim Tharp

Won:
The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge

Massive, massive thanks to EgmontUSA, PenguinTeen, and Random House/Random Buzzers!

Now...MORE NOTES.

Just a quick one though. I'm going to be away from Monday until Thursday to see a couple colleges. I'm going to explore University of Delaware and Towson University. I should have internet access, but I can't guarantee how much time I'll have to be online and check emails/twitter. But, I will try!

Now, what's in YOUR mailbox?

--Julie

7 comments:

  1. I AM ONLY COMMENTING ON THIS POST TO EXPRESS MY LOVE FOR DAVID TENNANT / THE TENTH DOCTOR.

    eveniftheninthdoctorismyfavorite.

    I approve of your usage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GODDD, I want Hourglass so badly. I'm so happy you enjoyed it so much - can't wait! Lol, possessiveness is always a good sign.

    And awesome other books as well. I'm glad you got a little pick-me-up before break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Tennant!! *swoon* That eyebrow!

    I totally agree with your thoughts on IMM. It's how I find out about books, too! :)

    You got Hourglass! Eep! *wants* Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Gail have me convinced that I need Hourglass. It looks really good!

    Enjoy all of your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You adore HOURGLASS? I adore you!

    The fangirling went to my agent (she's embroidering it on a pillow) AND my editor!!! (And I might have taken a sharpie and written some of it on my arm. s. Arms.)

    You are the first TEEN to read and review. It means so much to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where She Went and Hourglass? I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooooo jealous x10 that you got Hourglass!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.