Monday, 28 February 2011

Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin


Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance
by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin

Source: review copy from publisher


Summary: Fans of romance don't need to look any further than the fauxmance brewing between teen idols Charlie Tracker and Fielding Withers—known on their hit TV show as Jenna and Jonah, next-door neighbors flush with the excitement of first love. But it's their off-screen relationship that has helped cement their fame, as passionate fans follow their every PDA. They grace the covers of magazines week after week. Their fan club has chapters all over the country.

The only problem is their off-screen romance is one big publicity stunt, and Charlie and Fielding can't stand to be in the same room. Still, it's a great gig, so even when the cameras stop rolling, the show must go on, and on, and on. . . . Until the pesky paparazzi blow their cover, and Charlie and Fielding must disappear to weather the media storm. It's not until they're far off the grid of the Hollywood circuit that they realize that there's more to each of them than shiny hair and a winning smile.
I liked the book a lot, I stayed up all night reading it after I finished Nevermore and it’s been quite a while since I’ve read a book in one sitting so that’s a good sign.

It was cute and the fact that it didn’t annoy me even though it was set in the whole Hollywood scene thing (which I have a low tolerance for) was quite impressive.

There really isn’t much I can think to say about the book. I liked it, it was a great fast paced, quick read but it wasn’t exactly memorable. It kind of reminded me of those Disney Channel Original Movies where it’s pretty predictable and cliché and you know how it’s going to end before you’re even five minutes into it… but it’s entertaining and it’s the perfect thing to read after finishing a more serious/emotionally draining story.

Al was my favourite character; an old guy who doesn’t show up until later in the book and he doesn’t have many scenes, but his ones were the memorable ones.

I liked Charlie… she was far from perfect and she didn’t really drastically change during the story, her character was consistent and she showed real personality (although it wasn’t all good), but she did develop as a character. I wish there was more to her story, we don’t hear too much about her parents or anything but that aspect of the story could’ve been interesting if it was explored more but I suppose dwelling too much on that would’ve ruined the fluffy romance feel the book had.

Aaron/Jonah/Fielding/Mr IHaveTooManyNames irritated me. I could understand how him and Charlie worked as a pairing, but he was kind of an ass really (which was odd seeing as it seemed like Charlie was supposed to be the stuck up Hollywood type while he was the down to earth guy who had a normal upbringing) and he didn’t have many scenes that really redeemed his moments of being completely awful. But while he did irritate me, I didn’t hate him… he was an interesting change from those love interests who are portrayed as perfect and he did have his typical teenage guy moments which made him more believable.

The way the book ended, like I said already, was predictable but I wish there had been more… an extra chapter, an epilogue, just something to make it better -- it was sweet, the ending I was rooting for but the way it played out was rushed and anti-climactic.

Basically, the book was fun and pretty addictive and I would recommend it if you just want something light to read or if you’re in need of a cliché romance fix. My rating would probably be about 3.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I felt pretty much the same way--it's a fun book, plain and simple.
    Aaron/Fielding DID have too many names, though! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite interesting. We need a light, 'feel-good' book once in a while.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.