Monday, 21 February 2011

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh


Nevermore
by Kelly Creagh

Summary: Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game.

Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind.

Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.


So I don't think my words would be able to fully convey my thoughts on this book, so before I get to even attempting that, here is a little visual interpretation of my reactions:

I started the book:

Then cute boy was there:

And the bad guys made me like:

And with all of the other characters I was just:

And when creepy stuff happened:

Then the ending had me all:

And if I could say one thing to the book, it would be this:

...Yeah, I think that about sums it up. This book was amazing and my words are already failing me, as predicted.

I loved the plot so much, it was crazy original (although, I bet I would've enjoyed it more had I read my complete works of Poe first to understand all the references). Normally I'm good at guessing the course that stories are going to take, but this one kept surprising me.

The characters? Can I just like, keep them all?

Well, maybe not them all - I'd only like the bad ones to be real so I could have the pleasure of punching them in the face. But the rest? I can haz?

Gwen was so quirky and brilliant, she was a great side character and I really liked Nikki and Stevie and Danny too. As for the main two, Isobel and Varen, they were just awesome. Especially Varen. But hey, isn't that almost always the case for the cute, mysterious, brooding boys? At times, I literally wished he was real just so I could hug him.

Isobel... I just really liked her. She was the kind of protagonist that could have annoyed me but the way Kelly wrote her, giving her actual personality instead of making her a stereotype, made me adore her. She wasn't perfect, she did have moments where she annoyed me (like expecting her dad to understand things when she didn't tell him anything... or the end when - well, I can't say without spoiling), but those things weren't flaws in Kelly's writing, they just made the character more realistic.

I have a love/hate relationship with the way the book ended. On one hand, it was pretty awesome... but I don't want to have to wait for a sequel for certain thing's to be explained or resolved. I'm gonna be pining for another Varen and Isobel fix until the next book is out.

I guess that's all I can say about the book. I really loved it (and considering I've been in a total reading funk recently, that makes it even more awesome, I think this book might've snapped me out of it).

Oh, one last thing... I made crappy Nevermore fan art/a fan cast (true sign of me loving a book):




Later.

17 comments:

  1. Now that is one FANTASTIC review! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Omg, I love the .gif reactions! XD Awesome representation of your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review =)
    I definitely have to buy this book !! I've only heard positive things about it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you liked this book. maybe. I wasn't clear

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen some really awesome reviews about this book, and it makes me wonder why it hasn't gotten any more popular. I love Edgar Alan Poe, so this one sounds AWESOME! Thanks for the review, and the little vids were hysterical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Love all the images to go with your reactions! (Especially the one of Fez making the heart! Lol!)

    Glad to see you enjoyed Nevermore; it's been sitting on my shelf for quite a while, and I really need to get to it! From your review, I can tell it's amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nevermore is awesome ♥ lols. I cant wait for the sequel to come out :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just genius. Really! Can't stop laughing out loud. You won me over -- I'm reading it for sure now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome. I KNEW there was a reason I didn't get a chance to read this last year. *hunts a copy*

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME!!!!! I TOTALLY AGREE *hearts* I had a love/hate for the ending too and Oh I just simply love Varen and Gwen ^-^ I also can not wait for the next book~ I fell in love with Poe becuz of this book Nevermore is totally amazing Kelly Creagh is brilliant ^o^ oh this review is EPIC~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this book. The only other book that ever pulled me in so emotionally was Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. Nevermore is such a good book I am returning it to the library and BUYING TWO copies of my very own just so I can still read it when I am 80. Can I please just have Varen right now???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I just finished reading the book and I came upon your fancast/art. I really liked the book! I was wondering who's your Varen? I don't recognize him. Also, your blog post/summary was great! The clip reactions were hysterical! Anyway, take care! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey I just finished the book! It was really good! I came upon your fan cast/art and I was wondering who is your Varen? I don't recognize him... Also, your review was great, and the reaction .gifs definitely made me laugh! Anyway take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Cassandra

    His name is Jake Richardson (he was in a movie called The Hangmans Curse, based on a book by the same name - he's been in other stuff too, but that's the only movie where he was Varen-like).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I glad someone else is so very in love with this book. I managed to read it in four days while still being able to go work (though my head was immersed in the book and not at work at all). It just sits on my bedstand, because I find myself unable to part from it I love it so, so much. I've already pre-ordered the Enshadowed, and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. who was the guy in your fan art?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.