Saturday, 19 February 2011

Timeless by Alexandra Monir

*There are some minor spoilers in this review. It's technically revealed in the summary but still. Be warned*

Timeless
Alexandra Monir
Delacorte Books for Young Readers
[January 11, 2011]

When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor’s world, she is forced to uproot her life and move across the country to New York City, to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she’s never met. In their old Fifth Avenue mansion filled with a century’s worth of family secrets, Michele discovers a diary that hurtles her back in time to the year 1910. There, in the midst of the glamorous Gilded Age, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes who has haunted her dreams all her life – a man she always wished was real, but never imagined could actually exist. And she finds herself falling for him, into an otherworldly, time-crossed romance.

Michele is soon leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves – a quest that will determine the fate of both of their lives.

Timeless was an enjoyable read, but not special.

This was a really, really good story idea. I love all the history and the situations Michele found herself in. Whenever she traveled, the story was interesting and the story in present day was interesting as well. I'm a huge history buff and Michele managed to hit on the aspects of American history I DO like.

But I had problems with this book that kept me from loving it. The story was kind of predictable. There were a few times I wanted to smack Michele for not seeing it when I felt like there was blinking red lights screaming "THIS IS IT. YES THIS." But it would take her another half of the book to find the answer.

There was also the love story. In theory, it was a great story. I mean, a love a century a part? Come on, sounds awesome! But...it was an insta-love story. I think they met three separate times before declaring their love. I know it was a short book and the ideas of romance in HIS time were different, it kind of annoyed me.

But otherwise, I enjoyed the book. Lots of fun characters and fun side stories. I think if it was a little longer (giving the romance more development)  and less predictable, I could've loved this. It also could be because I read another time-related novel in the middle of this one and it totally blew me away and this book was probably hurt by that.

I am looking forward to the sequel and if you're looking for a quick, fun, light read, this is a very good choice! Thanks Erin Lynn Jeffreys Hodges for sending a copy!

--Julie

7 comments:

  1. *avoids summary*
    Ack, insta-love? Hmm. Well, at least the rest of the book was pretty much enjoyable! I think I'll still give Timeless a go, but thanks for the warning about its predictability and insta-love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this lurking on my Kindle. I'm looking forward to the time twisty aspect but I hate that insta-love thing so I hope it doesn't put me off! Thanks for the review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so tired of insta-love It makes me cringe everytime it happens now. I really want a good book about people who are friends deciding they love each other, or the ones that hate each other realizing they like each other.

    I'm not a big fan of time-travel books either. I want to know what you read in the middle that blew you away! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds like something I would like! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too would like to know the novel that you read while you were reading "Timeless" ... I've been looking for a good time-traveling novel to read.


    if you could email me the name of the book that'd be great my email is:
    jasminebucago@gmail.com

    thank you :]]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too would like to know the name of the book that you read while reading "Timeless". I love time-traveling books and am always looking for another one to read.

    if you could email me the name that'd be great, my email is:
    jasminebucago@gmail.com

    thank you :]]

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book made me laugh and cry and fall in love with it. It is an AMAZING book! I thought it was even better than twilight and i love twilight! I can't wait till the next one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.