Thursday, 10 March 2011

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire
Courtney Allison Moulton
HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books
[February 15, 2011]

This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.

Another, excellent, excellent book. I didn't love it the way I would under normal circumstances (*grumbles about epic books*), but it was so, so good.

The beginning was kind of slow and I got frustrated with Ellie a little bit, but I liked her overall. She was funny and smart and obviously pretty tough. She was a sympathetic character, too. She got frustrated and made mistakes, but they were understandable.

I always have to say, Will was adorable, but I didn't swoon for him the way many others have. I know, I know, but there was just something kind of off about him for me for the first half of the book. 

I don't know what else to say. The plot was something totally different from any other angel novel out there. There were some surprises and some mysteries. The plot as a whole was just a really interesting story. The writing was intriguing and kept me hanging and invested in the story the whole way.

This is definitely a book for paranormal lovers and romance lovers and action lovers. It's an excellent novel and another I would probably be head over heels for if I wasn't in some kind of book hangover.

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. I really need to read this. I got it from NetGalley but have yet to start it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *gasp* You didn't swoon over Will?

    Glad to hear you enjoyed Angelfire! I agree that the beginning was a little cheesy, but after a while I just really got into it!
    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.