Monday, 21 March 2011

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Desires of the Dead
by Kimberly Derting

Summary: The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

So I loved the first book in the series, The Body Finder, and I'm glad to say, the sequel was even better. I loved Desires of the Dead. It had all of the awesomeness that the first book had, but more.

I did get frustrated with Violets character sometimes and wanted her to be real so I could shake/yell some sense into her, but about two thirds of the way into the book it stopped bothering me and I did kind of understand her way of thinking, even if I didn't agree with it.

I loved the minor characters still, Jay and Chelsea were my favourites (although, Chelsea could be annoying but that annoyingness made her more realistic) and I really liked the new ones too, Rafe especially even though we don't see much of him.

The relationship with Jay and Violet in this one was just made of adorable. Like, on the cuteness scale, they definitely hit this level:



Normally I can only handle that kind of mushy romance in moderation, but I was in the right mood when I read it and I want to read more of their cuteness, it made me smile until my face hurt.

I kind of like the plot in this one better than the first, although it was predictable in some areas and I had guessed how it was going to end long before I got to the twists. That predictability would probably have bothered me more if I was reading the book for the mystery, but that wasn't what kept me reading - to be honest, I'm not sure what it was that kept me turning the pages but I was hooked. I think maybe it was the characters.

I was ill and ridiculously tired when reading this. Honestly, I probably should've slept instead of reading but I ignored the headache and nausea until I turned the last page. I'd probably be feeling a little better today if I hadn't done that, but it was worth it.





I can't wait to read the next book, the way this one ended and things it introduced, it definitely set up for a potentially awesome sequel that could even top this one.

Later.

p.s. I'm still ill, but I wanted to get this review done - if it's awful, lets blame it on the whole ill thing...and when I'm back to normal, we'll just blame my bad reviewing skills on...damn it, who/what can I blame?

6 comments:

  1. great post.

    I woke up Sunday a.m. to find my blog, my 500 plus followers, my 100plus author interviews, and my 200 plus reviews gone. Blogger gave no explanation, but I think the account was hacked. Change your password often!

    I have reloaded the interviews and reviews, plus redesigned the blog. But if you could, please hit the "follow" button so I can reclaim the fellow bloggers I miss. I'm still following you, as my account remained--thank goodness!
    http://kellymoranauthor.blogspot.com

    Thank you!
    Kelly Moran
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay is the most adorable love interest ever. <3

    I didn't love Desires of the Dead quite as much as The Body Finder, but I agree that it was still pretty darn awesome. :)
    Thanks for the review (and feel better soon)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm picking this one up today. I love love love your cuteness graphic - totally cracked me up. Great review. Feel better soon!!

    Megan @ Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read all the other books by this author. I'm hoping now that I have a library card and nook that I will be able to.

    I hear great things about Kimberly Derting so I'm excited to look for her books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I love Jay and Violet and I so need to read the next book! Their love is awesome!! Nice review! Also love the picture of the rainbows~!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the Body Finder, and I can't wait to read the sequel. I have to get it soon. Great review. I like Jay so much, he is so cute.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.