Saturday, 12 March 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall
by Rachel Hawkins

Summary: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

So I’ve had this book in my to be read pile for ages and decided to read it after Julie insisted that I should and she gushed about it and the sequel. Julie and I don’t always have the same taste in books, but this is one of the ones that we definitely agree on.

GIF's say it better than words (yes, I'm doing this again because I have a killer headache right now and what I write won't properly explain my feelings for the book):


While reading, inside I was all:


But then I finished the book:

And I did not have the sequel right there with me to begin reading:

But still, overall, the book left me pretty much:



/Visual intepretation and onto words...

The book was awesome, I really loved it. So much that I fully intend to buy the US hardcover’s of Hex Hall and the sequel, even though I already own the UK edition, because I want the outside of the book to reflect the awesomeness of the inside (the UK covers really don’t do the book justice at all).

Sophie was a great character. She was a realistic teenager, which doesn’t happen in a lot of paranormal books -- they often try and make the protagonist be relatable while still being a *unique little snow flake* that everyone is supposed to love and usually just makes the character seem like a Mary Sue. Sophie wasn’t like that and I loved that about her. Plus, her sense of humour and thoughts managed to make me laugh a lot.

The romance in the book was subtle, it wasn’t some epic love story where we’re supposed to believe it was love at first sight and they’re going to be together forever and live happily ever after. It started with a crush and the lines between love and lust didn’t get too blurred like they do in so many paranormal romances.

Archer. He annoyed me. But he annoyed me in that way that boy you have a crush on but refuse to admit it kind of way and he was one of my favourite parts of the book.

I loved Jenna and the other minor characters (even the bitchy characters -- I didn’t like them, but I loved to hate them).

The plot and the whole magic element of the book was brilliant and when I was reading it, it felt really original -- you know when you’re reading a story and even though you love it, elements of the plot don’t feel brand new because you’ve read variations of it before in other books? This book didn’t feel like that, I love that feeling of originality when I read a book (not saying that I haven't read books like this or with similar elements before, I have, but it felt new and unique which is what matters most).

Annnd this review has been awful and generic. But that is because I am tired and it kind of feels like there are tiny little people using my brain as a trampoline right now and it really hurts, because I was up all night and then put a lot of strain on my eyes to finish reading the book. It was worth the headache I now have.

If you haven’t read Hex Hall, go read it. It has the “This Book is Awesome” seal of approval from both me and Julie.

On another note, I have a question: am I the only one who really, really does not like the UK covers at all? The US ones are gorgeous, the UK ones are just… generic and kind of - blah.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book as well. Sophie is a great character with a lot of spunk!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I read it last night- and I had the same reaction! I was like. .but but.. I NEED THE NEXT BOOK!!!!!!!!!
    TWO DAY SHIPPING ON A FRIDAY DOES NOT CUT IT!Tuesday is AGES away! *Ahem.* As you can see, the freakout is not completely over.
    My love for Archer runs deep. and and and.... *tries not to burst into tears*
    Anyways, i'm still

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I love the review especially the visual aspect!! soo fun and shows how you felt perfectly

    KelseyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta say, I liked your review a lot more than the actual book =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.