Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens


Overprotected 
by Jennifer Laurens

Summary: Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City.

Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard.

Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector.

Daddy thought I’d be safe. He thought I’d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever.

Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin.

Daddy was wrong.
I really liked this book.

It was pretty predictable, none of the twists that happened were really unexpected and the characters felt kind of stereotypical. The writing bothered me sometimes, I'm not even sure why, in the beginning especially (less after halfway through) and parts of the book felt kind of...flat and repetetive, but once the plot picked up a little, it got much better.

...I know I said I really liked the book, then went on to list the negatives, but I just wanted to get those out of the way first so I could get to the positive stuff. I really enjoyed the book in spite of all of those things. I got caught up in the plot and cared about the characters (or was totally enraged by them, in some cases) and it doesn't bother me if a story is predictable if it makes me empathize with the characters.

I liked Ashlyn and I felt really bad for her (although, when she kept referring to her dad as "daddy" it was annoying but I get why she did, it's just one of my weird pet peeves). Even just reading about her life made me feel so claustrophobic and I wanted her to stand up for herself and, I dunno, rebel a bit more and I was totally rooting for her. She really did seem to grow up during the course of the book and I loved that - like it took her limits being pushed to make her fight for what she wants.

Colin was really cute. He was just your typical good guy, he wasn't the bad boy or mysterious guy or the one who is brooding-in-a-sexy-manner or any of the other usual romantic lead cliches we tend to find in the majority of YA books...he was just a good guy and I liked him a lot.

The only thing I really had an issue with about the romance in the book was that we're told that Ash hates him in the start (and in the summary), because of their past...but we were just told that, never really shown. She kind of has that love struck teen thing going on right from the very start...which is fine, it's just - the summary makes it sound like there'll be conflict with that relationship, that she really does hate him then her feelings change but that doesn't happen exactly.

Her parents frustrated me so much. Her dad kind of creeped me out at times...her mum wasn't as bad, especially nearer the end but they were just - crazy. Thinking about living her life with those parents is suffocating. That felt more like the point of the book, the summary makes it seem like the romance is the focus but when I was reading, it felt like the romance was just - there. It didn't feel like the point of the book. Even one of the big "twists" of the book didn't feel like the point... It felt like the book was about Ashlyn breaking free, learning to stand on her own and not be controlled anymore, not so much about the plot or the romance (maybe that was the intention, but the summary makes it sound like a romance first).

Basically, the book was fun. It was entertaining and it had me hooked (another book I read while ill when I should've been sleeping instead). If you know that stories like this appeal to you, then you'll probably enjoy it too.

Later.

p.s. does the cover annoy anyone else? I like Jennifer Laurens as an author but her covers tend to not do her books justice, they seem so self-published-ish (and the interior of this one had a really irritating font that had my eyes hurting quickly because it was really fine and words were close together). In the story, Colin is 21 and Ashlyn is nearly 18 - but the people on the cover look so much older than that, it doesn't look like a YA book.

Just mentioning that, because the cover would've probably put me off buying the book had I not read other books by Jennifer to know that I like her stories. One of my pet peeves is good books with bad covers. Don't judge her books by their covers, really.

3 comments:

  1. I feel like there was a Whitney Houston movie in which she fell in love with her bodyguard...maybe I'm wrong.

    And I'm glad the hero was just a nice guy. There aren't enough of those kind in YA, I think. I'm a little tired of the brooding hero. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading this one yesterday! I agree with you on all points--I really wanted to smack Ashlyn's parents! They were SO annoying.

    And yeah, I kind of agree on the cover--I think Colin looks alright, but Ashlyn looks kind of old. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Im guilty for judging books by their covers and I'd walk right past this one.



    clarkmurdock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.